The owners of two-story houses and two-level apartments traditionally have a question — which staircase to choose so that it is stylish, durable and at the same time easy to assemble. Manufacturers took into account these wishes and offered customers unique modular stairs. They quickly replaced traditional wooden structures and became popular in the markets of Europe and the CIS countries. What is the peculiarity of this design and what types of it exist? More on that below.
The basis of this design is autonomous blocks — ladder modules. Each block consists of a pair of pipes. The outer diameter of one pipe corresponds to the inner diameter of the other. The length of a pipe with a small diameter is twice the length of a pipe with a large diameter. The modules are sequentially fixed with bolts, which are screwed into special fasteners resembling nuts. The assembled blocks form a ridge (kosour), which becomes the basis for the stairs.
After assembly, a fence and steps are installed on the frame. It is preferable to use natural materials that are resistant to moisture changes, mechanical damage and scratches. It is best to use steps made of walnut, ash, oak or beech. They will make the design durable and fit into any interior.
Modular stairs have replaced the classic cast structures from the market due to the fact that they have a number of important advantages:
- they can be mounted independently;
- can be built into any existing project;
- in case of failure of one stage, it can be quickly replaced without damage to the structure;
- safety margin of modules is 5-8 tons;
- modular design gives the room elegance without weighing it down;
- has an acceptable price.
At the moment, the assortment includes several types of structures that differ in material, shape and type of assembly. But the most popular are the following types:
- Wooden modular stairs. The steps of these models are made of solid wood, so they look rich and aristocratic. These stairs are ideal for both a country house and a city apartment. The color palette of steps includes red, coffee, black and beige.
- Modular metal stairs. Here the basis for the steps is high-quality metal. Metal stairs, unlike wooden ones, look strict and concise, so they are used in high-tech, techno and loft styles.
- Spiral modular staircase. A fairly compact model to accommodate which you need a minimum of space (2-3 square meters). Thanks to this, it can be installed both in the center of the room and near the wall. Thanks to the beautiful curved railing, this staircase looks unusual and even a little extravagant.
- Modular goose step staircase. Its main difference is the unusual shape of the steps, which have different widths and are mounted on the frame of the structure in a checkerboard pattern. Thus, each step has a wide and narrow part. The wide one is necessary for moving up the stairs, and the narrow one is for access by the foot standing on the previous step.
- Other options. This includes curved structures, which may have a built-in platform or special winder steps. So, with the help of U-shaped modular ladders, it is possible to descend around obstacles, and the L-shaped ladder can be installed in a small area.
When choosing a design, be sure to consider the room criteria (ceiling height, total area, room shape) and the expected load on the stairs.