Bright juicy greenery on shelves or window sills is a special pride of the hostess. A favorite winter garden or a few pots of greens equally need care and attention. Unfortunately, their well-being is often threatened by indoor plant pests. We will figure out how to determine the type of uninvited «aliens», how to effectively and quickly get rid of them.
All about pests and how to destroy them
Causes of infection
Description of the types of harmful insects
- spider mite
Causes of plant infection
It often happens that the lush greenery growing on the windowsill begins to wither and dies. Having discovered the invasion of pests, the distressed hostess is looking for a reason and cannot understand where the insects came from.
- Plants were taken out to the street, to an open veranda or balcony in the warm season.
- Left windows or vents open for a long time. Theoretically, parasites can enter the house even through a small gap.
The flower was transplanted into a fresh substrate. Even store-bought soil can be contaminated, especially since there is no guarantee of protection if the soil is taken from a forest or garden.
- Bought an infected copy. Unfortunately, infection in nurseries is not uncommon. They supply such products to stores.
- Made mistakes in daily care. They weaken a living organism, reduce its resistance, which parasites will definitely take advantage of.
Thus, there are quite a few ways to get infected. It will not work to provide protection from everyone, so you need to prepare to fight for your green pets.
4 proven ways to help get rid of skin beetles in the apartment
7 houseplant pests and control measures
It is possible to quickly get rid of aggressors only when the methods of its destruction are known. Therefore, we will get acquainted with the names and photos of pests of indoor plants, find out how to deal with them.
Outwardly, it resembles a brown or cream-colored growth on the stem. In fact, this is an insect hiding under a dense chitinous shell. Its dimensions do not exceed 4 mm. If no measures are taken, the number of scale insects increases rapidly, they stick around the stems, appear on the back of the leaves and even on the fruits. Parasites attach themselves to the plant and suck out the nutritious juices from it. It turns yellow and gradually dries up.
The situation is aggravated if a fungus settles in the micro-wounds left by the jaws of the scale insects. False shields also feed in the same way. They also parasitize on domestic greens. They differ only in the absence of a shell, so destroying them is a little easier. It doesn’t matter which species has settled in the house, they are fought the same way.
How to fight
- Collection of pests by hand, thorough cleaning of all shoots with a soft brush, you can use a toothbrush.
- Washing under a sufficiently hot, but not more than 50 ° C, shower.
- Thorough cleaning with strong soapy water. For its preparation, laundry soap is taken.
Of the chemicals used «Aktellik», «Confidor», «Golden Iskra», «Intavir», «Aktara», etc.
6 most common houseplant diseases and how to treat them
It is also called hairy louse, because the powdery coating on the body resembles fur. Grayish or cream-colored parasites are clearly visible against a green background. They huddle in small groups, secrete a pad or honeydew that looks like cotton balls. This is a sweet liquid that attracts fungus, which becomes an additional threat to the flower. The louse sticks to the shoots, sucks the juice out of them.
The most dangerous type of mealybug is the root one. It lives underground, so it is invisible. You can see it only by removing an earthen ball from the pot. There, as it were, a “family” of parasites is found powdered with flour. They are omnivorous, affect almost all types of indoor greenery, easily move from one specimen to another. If they are detected, it is necessary to immediately treat the foci of infection.
- In case of damage to the root scale, a change of soil will be required. The roots are rinsed in hot water, its temperature is about 50 ° C.
- Manual collection of parasites, followed by a thorough washing of greenery under a shower head.
Soap treatment. Prepared at the rate of: a teaspoon of grated laundry soap per liter of water.
- Rubbing the affected areas with an alcohol solution. In order not to harm, a small fragment is processed for the sample. Not suitable for pubescent varieties.
The treatment of indoor plants from pests with chemicals helps. Against all types of worms, Karbofos, Aktara, Konfidor, Tanrek, Aktellik, etc. are used.
How to get rid of hay eaters in the apartment
3. Spider mite
An extremely dangerous insect. Individuals are very small, the size of the largest does not exceed 1 mm. Therefore, it is difficult to see them. Attention is attracted by small dots-punctures on leaf blades and a silvery cobweb entangling shoots, leaves, flowers. True, when they become noticeable, the tick has already firmly settled on room greens. Small invaders move on fragments of the web, quickly settling in the occupied territory.
Gradually, the bush is completely wrapped in a web in which parasites live. They suck the juices out of him, he withers and withers. Often, in addition to tick damage, a fungal infection joins, the disease leaves almost no chance for a green pet to survive. The spider mite settles on any crops, but small roses, ficuses, lemons and other citruses are especially susceptible to it.
Unfortunately, getting rid of a dangerous enemy is very difficult. Even a small part of the colony preserved in the soil becomes more active over time. Therefore, at the first sign of danger, they immediately begin to destroy.
How to get rid of spider mites on houseplants once and for all
How to fight
- Remove the most mite-affected leaves.
- Spray the bush with an infusion of Persian chamomile, hogweed, creeping tenacious, pyrethrum or basil. Tea tree oil dissolved in water works well.
- Dissolve «Fairy» in clean water, beat a thick foam. Cover the ground in a pot with plastic, moisten the aerial part of the flower with the resulting foam. Leave for half an hour, rinse.
Chemical agents for ticks: «Fitoverm», «Aktellik», «Apollo», «Aktofit». Apply exactly as directed.
The 9 Most Common Pests and Diseases of Garden Plants (And What to Do About Them)
Parasites are found almost everywhere. They can be found in the field, in the forest clearing, in the garden, they are found in stores where they live on berries or vegetables. Their body is small, oblong in shape, the color is different: from pale yellow to jet black. The length does not exceed 3 mm. Thrips are very prolific, adults are able to fly. Therefore, the colonies are actively growing and conquering territories for living.
Thrips are omnivorous, but they prefer beautiful flowering crops: hibiscus, violet, geranium, rose, etc. Tender young leaves and shoots are especially vulnerable to them. Varieties with dense leaves are less interesting for insects. The bush that has been attacked by them is covered with small punctures-points of a yellowish tint. Small black specks of excrement also become noticeable.
Thrips settle on green aerial parts and in a soil coma. You need to know this when starting to destroy the colony in order to process all infected areas.
How to get rid of worms in flower pots: an overview of effective methods
- Buds and flowers are removed, since the largest number of beetles accumulate here.
- In a small amount of water, a zooshampoo against ticks, which contains permethrin, is diluted. Beat it into a dense foam. Apply it on the stems and leaves, leave for 35-40 minutes, then wash off.
Insecticides do well with thrips: Aktara, Konfidor, Inta-vir, Fitoverm, Vertimek, Tanrek.
7 bad habits in caring for plants, because of which they often die
The second name is mushroom mosquito. A signal about the appearance of dangerous neighbors will be small black midges randomly flying around the room. They are safe for green pets, but lay eggs that develop into worm larvae. The latter feed on the juices of room greens, sticking to its tender roots.
Therefore, with the sudden appearance of midges, it is necessary to immediately check whether sciarids have started in the soil. It is very easy to do this. It is enough to remove a small layer of soil; the laying of larvae is usually located at a shallow depth. They get rid of larvae and adults, otherwise they will lay new clutches, the danger will appear again.
How to get rid of midges in indoor flowers quickly and permanently
How to fight
- The soil in the pot must be dry. Excess moisture attracts mushroom mosquitoes.
- The use of organic waste is excluded, such as peeling potatoes, shells, tea leaves as a top dressing.
To destroy the larvae, the preparations Inta-vir, Mukhoed, Aktara are used. Midges are exterminated with sprays like «Raptor» or «Neo-dichlorvos», etc.
What flowers can not be kept at home: 10 dangerous plants
Garden pests are rare in homes. These are small, no more than 2 mm, translucent individuals. They form the basis of the colony. A small part of it consists of winged aphids, which capture new areas for settlement. It is very easy to notice the invasion. Individuals stick around shoots or leaves, pierce their shell and suck out the juice. Puncture sites are visible as dark spots.
In the course of life, aphids produce honeydew. It is a sweet liquid that sticks the buds together and clogs the stomata. Dew attracts ants, who use it for food. Aphids must be destroyed as soon as they are noticed. It must be remembered that pest larvae can be found underground.
Ways to fight
- Individuals do not hold well in place, they are gently washed off under the shower. It is advisable to give a strong pressure, so washing will be more effective.
- Spray the bush with citrus infusion. For 1 liter of water, a few drops of essential oil or 4 tbsp. spoons of zest.
- Treat with soapy water. For 1 liter of water, a teaspoon of grated laundry soap.
To repel aphids, you can put a geranium with a spicy smell next to an infected but treated plant. Of the chemical solutions used «Golden Iskra», «Aktara», «Tanrek», «Confidor».
We fight pests in the garden: the most effective remedies for aphids
The moth is cream-colored, its wings and body are covered with a powdery white coating. The photo shows that outwardly it is very similar to a mole, only a little smaller. The length of an individual does not exceed 3 mm. For indoor crops, larvae and adult specimens are dangerous. They suck out the juice, leaving the remnants of vital activity at the place of their stay — a honeydew.
It clogs the stomata, which interferes with breathing, attracts ants and fungus. Infection with the whitefly leads to the rapid death of the pet. Moths are omnivorous, but especially love geranium, fuchsia, dracaena, hibiscus. They are very tenacious, a single spraying with insecticides does not always help. It has to be done twice or more. Moreover, it is desirable to use different drugs in order to change the active substance.
Country cottage area
How to get rid of whiteflies on house flowers and seedlings
Effective means of struggle
- Washing with soapy water. Household or liquid green soap is taken. Even the usual «washing» in the shower will destroy a certain number of moths.
- Fumigator with a plate against mosquitoes. Effectively destroys adult butterflies.
- Glue traps and sticky paper tapes to trap flies. Help to destroy some of the moths.
- To scare away the whitefly, the earth in a pot is abundantly sprinkled with ashes.
For spraying, insecticides are used: «Prestige», «Commander», «Aktara», «Golden Spark», «Aktellik».
We listed the names of pests living on indoor plants, showed their photos. Even the most inexperienced flower growers will be able to recognize the danger, effectively and quickly get rid of it.
9 reasons that provoke plant diseases after transplantation