The paint can leave an indelible stain on a dress or shirt, especially many of these marks remain on children’s things. If this happens, there is no need to panic. You can remove unpleasant colored marks yourself. Let’s figure out how to clean the paint from clothes so that there are no marks left on it.
Removing paint from clothing
How to clean different types of paint
— Water emulsion
— Hair dye
Features of cleaning different types of fabric
How to get rid of a stain
First of all, you need to remember a few rules that will help you get rid of color blots without a trace.
- Fresh dirt is easier to remove, and hardened paint is much more difficult to wash off. In order not to get unpleasant surprises, it is worth inspecting children’s things after painting, clothes after walking in the park or any other place where there may be freshly painted benches or something similar.
- Before cleaning it is necessary to determine the type of contamination. The range of paints and varnishes is very wide. To choose the right cleaner, you need to know the type of dye.
- Before cleaning, it is desirable to find out the composition of the fabric. Textile fibers react differently to home remedies and chemicals. Natural fabrics can discolor, artificial fabrics can deform and melt.
- Preliminary testing of means is obligatory. In order not to spoil the thing, before cleaning, apply a little solvent to the seam or from the wrong side. Well, if a shred is preserved, which is attached to the thing along with the label, then they try the effect of the selected agent on it. If the textile remains unchanged, it can be cleaned.
- Rub the stain always from the edges to the center. In order not to “smear” the dissolved contamination over the material, it is as if collected with a clean cloth or cotton pad from the edge to the middle. If the layer of dirt is thick, it can first be scraped off with any suitable object.
How to remove grease stains from clothes: proven methods
We remove traces from different types of paint
To completely remove an unpleasant stain, you need to determine which dye you have to deal with. They are very different and are also cleaned in different ways. We have prepared a selection of recipes with which you can wash different paint from clothes.
We remove enamel
These are coloring mastics on a polymer or oil basis. There are nitro enamels, oil, alkyd, glyptal, polyurethane, etc. Distinguishing one variety from another «by eye» is difficult. Therefore, we list the universal methods for cleaning stains from enamel.
Suitable for fresh marks, on which the coloring mastic has not yet hardened. Lay out the damaged item on a hard, even base, put a clean cloth or napkin under the soiled area. With a flat thin object, for example, an old bank card or a ruler, gently scrape off the mass from the surface. They move from the edge to the center, trying not to rub the coloring paste into the material. Just peel off the top layer.
A basin of warm water is prepared, a soiled object is lowered into it. They take laundry soap and rub the contaminated fragment with it. If such soap is not available, any concentrated dish detergent will do. Leave the mark soapy for 15-20 minutes, longer if possible. Then it is washed under a stream from a tap, squeezed. If a trace remains, the operation is repeated. Send the thing to the wash in the usual mode for it.
How to clean fur at home: useful instructions for natural and artificial things
You can take any of the compositions sold in the store: «White spirit», «Acetone», «Turpentine», «Solvent 646». A nail polish remover is suitable, but only based on acetone, pharmacy «Glycerin» or gasoline. These tools are universal, they help when they are looking for how to wash the paint from the clothes from the bench or how to wipe the enamel from the T-shirt.
The chemicals are harsh, so fabric testing is a must. The thing is laid out on a hard base, a clean soft rag is placed under the speck. Wet a cotton pad in the liquid and gently treat the entire mark with it. Leave for 10-15 minutes for the dye to dissolve. After that, a cotton pad moistened with a chemical and slightly wrung out begins to remove pollution. Move towards the middle of the soiled fragment. After the cleaned area is washed with soap or any powder.
How to remove pen stains from bags and clothes: 3 modern ways
Alcohol + turpentine + gasoline
«Heavy artillery» for the most difficult stains, including alkyd enamel. Prepare a mixture of equal parts of turpentine, alcohol and gasoline. Apply it abundantly on the mark, leave for a short time, allow the mass to dissolve. If the layer of softened dye is high, carefully scrape it off the material. The remaining pollution is removed with a soda solution, it is prepared from 1 tbsp. spoons of soda powder and a glass of water. Cleaned textiles are machine washed.
How to remove tar from clothes: 7 effective ways
Oil and solvent
Oil can enhance the effect of the solvent, any will do: vegetable, butter, margarine. This method is especially effective for oil-based dyes. A good option than to wash bench paint from clothes. The oil mass is abundantly applied to the contaminated fragment. Leave it for 15-20 minutes so that it soaks into the dirt and softens it. After that, with a cotton pad moistened with any solvent or gasoline, the dissolved dye is carefully erased. The thing is sent to the washing machine, the mode is set, focusing on the type of fabric.
They are based on polymers of acrylic resins mixed with coloring pigments. It is not easy to remove such dyes, especially if the speck is already old. The easiest way is solvent cleaning. You can use any of the listed chemicals: «Solvent 646», «Acetone», «White Spirit». After the procedure, the thing must be washed.
An old mark is removed with a mixture of vinegar and ammonia. Mix one and a half to two tablespoons of liquids, add fine table salt. You should get a liquid slurry. It is applied to the stained area, gently rub the mass into the fabric. If the material is dense, do it with a toothbrush. Leave for 15-20 minutes, then rinse under running water. Cleaned clothes are washed.
How to remove foundation and powder stains from clothes and furniture
We remove the water emulsion
It is a water-based dye, so it is relatively easy to remove. Fresh pollution is easily washed off with laundry soap. It is best to wash the stained area, then send the product to the machine. To be sure of a good result, you can add a suitable stain remover to the washing powder.
Ethyl alcohol will help to cope with the dried water emulsion. They are abundantly moistened with a mark, left for a while. It remains to wash the cleaned textiles. In the most difficult cases, use this recipe. Pollution is covered with salt, abundantly moistened with alcohol. Leave for an hour and a half. After that, the mixture is cleaned, clothes are washed in the usual way.
How to get hair dye out of clothes
These are very resistant dyes, which include ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, and oxidation pigments. They can only be washed fresh. And the sooner you start to act, the better the result will be. A spot on colored fabrics is rubbed with vinegar. Then the thing is washed in a typewriter, be sure to add vinegar when washing. Soiled white textiles can be treated with peroxide, ethyl alcohol or glycerin. After processing, the product is washed.
Features of removing stains from different materials
It’s not enough to remove the stain, it is necessary not to spoil the thing. They are sewn from different fabrics, so it is important to consider the characteristics of the fibers when choosing a cleaning agent. Let’s analyze what is «contraindicated» for different materials.
- Wool. Does not tolerate all types of alkalis. They destroy the fiber structure. To remove the dye, use laundry soap, ammonia, glycerin.
- Cotton. Dense fabrics are resistant to all solvents, delicate fabrics can be sensitive to acetate preparations. Salt, soda, laundry soap clean well.
- Acetate silk and nylon. Aggressive solvents destroy the structure of the fibers, holes are formed. It is possible to use ammonia.
- Polyester. Does not tolerate high temperatures, boiling is excluded. It is best to remove pollution with the use of oil and washing powder.
- Leather. The use of solvents is undesirable, especially for artificial materials. To wipe the mark, take a soap solution, glycerin or oil.
Paint-stained clothing can be salvaged. It is important to correctly determine the type of pollution and know the features of soiled textiles. Then it is easy to choose a cleaner. If the thing is expensive or there are doubts about your own abilities, it is better to immediately take it to dry cleaning. Otherwise, there is a risk of ruining it hopelessly.
How to remove stains on tablecloths after a feast: tips and recipes