one Use the shape of objects
Combining 2-3 different styles is easier if you respect the unity of form. It will not cause rejection and will look harmonious. What else do you need for a comfortable interior?
The photo below shows the interior, which uses furniture and accessories from different styles: there is both modern and something from the classics, you can even find features of futurism if you look at the nearest bedside table. But the single form of this furniture: thin legs, soft textile seats, create a single and comfortable atmosphere.
Interior Design: Heidi Caillier Design
Modern kitchen design (70 photos)
2 Find the right color combination
A competent combination of different colors is a whole science that designers have been studying for a long time. But you don’t have to waste it, because we’ve put together 6 universal tips for combining different shades in the interior.
- Blue color is successfully combined with red, orange, white and green.
- Terracotta looks harmonious with bright green objects and shades of lime. This combination creates a cheerful mood.
- The combination of light blue and cream colors looks great in rooms where there is little natural light, it gives coziness and organicity.
- Yellow is often associated with joy, but it is almost never dominant. It can be successfully combined with a neutral range: gray, beige, white. And if you want brightness, crimson, bright blue or grassy green will help.
- Deep greens and emeralds pair well with reds, while muted turquoise pairs with neutral beiges and whites.
- Pink shades are always complex, but you can find an approach to them. If a bright palette is chosen, beige or white are added to pink, and muted or dusty pink is successfully combined with dark blue.
Bonus: The easiest way is to make the background white. Almost any color is combined with it; in contrast, you can create an interesting eclectic interior, as in this case.
Interior Design: Wolfe Rizor Interiors
Unexpected color combinations: 7 really bright options
3 Combine materials
Different styles are characterized by differences in textures and materials. So, in classic interiors, we most often see velvet, yellow metal, wood. In the loft — stone and leather. In country interiors — wood and textiles. In order to correctly combine materials in different styles, you must adhere to the following principles:
- In one interior, it is better not to combine several finishing materials with the same surface: natural wood and laminate, ceramic tiles imitating wood, and the same laminate.
- The basic rule for combining textures is contrast and harmony: smooth is perfectly combined with relief, hard wood with soft upholstery.
- If the room is divided into zones, it is ideal to use different textures for each zone.
A striking example of a successful mixture of styles and materials is this hallway. Modern classics can be seen in a small ottoman, a chandelier suggests futurism or industrial style, and on the floor we see an interesting idea of zoning with tiles and laminate: tiles are laid at the entrance, it is convenient, practical, and in this case also beautiful.
Interior Design: Concept58 Interior Design Studio
Interior style guide: a detailed list with photos and features
four Seek Unity in Unexpected Detail
You can change the interior of a room with one bold detail. For example, add an oriental carpet to a modern interior, or a futuristic sofa to a classic living room.
In general, working with a combination of classics and novelty is a favorite technique of many designers. For example, in the room in the photo below, a classic fireplace became such a detail. And it looks very interesting in a modern interior.
Interior Design: Horton & Co. Designers
Bookmark: popular furniture colors and their names
5 Use repeating patterns
If you want to combine objects of different styles in one interior, it will always look good with decoration or furniture where patterns or colors are repeated. Communication by ornaments is one of the most successful for a combination of different design directions.
For example, in this interior, the drawings of the back panel of cabinets and the upholstery of chairs are similar. Due to this, the combination looks more harmonious.
Interior Design: SuzAnn Kletzien Design
6 universal tips from famous interior designers
6 Engage Contrast
Often interiors in a mixed style are built on extremes. For example, furniture and carpet are in the same style, while a chandelier or coffee table is from a completely different story. In this case, the styles should be absolutely opposite to each other. Items, as if from a different interior, specially brought into the room, are called «anchors».
The interior in this photo could well be called country, if not for two chairs and a chandelier that fall into a futuristic direction.
Interior Design: Wolfe Rizor Interiors
Grunge style in the interior: tips for creating and 55 photos
7 Use the 80/20 rule
To make mixing styles successful, sometimes one or two details are enough. This approach is consistent with the 80/20 rule, which states that 80% of furniture and accessories will be in one style direction, and 20% in another. Then the interior will look advantageous.
Such an intentional combination looks harmonious in the interior, just look at the room below. Shown here is how just two oriental style pillows changed the look of a room.
Interior Design: Deborah French Designs
How to create a trendy eclectic interior: 6 tips from a designer