City apartments often lack warm natural light. Yellow wallpapers will easily solve this problem — they will fill the room with air and create the illusion of sun-drenched walls. And how to choose them and with what to combine, we tell in this article.
All about yellow wallpaper
Types of wallpaper
What to combine
Ideas for different rooms
— Living room
Yellow belongs to the warm part of the spectrum. It fills the space with sunlight, gives positive energy and invigorates. In addition, it stimulates brain activity and stimulates appetite. At the same time, in large quantities, it can cause headaches and even put pressure on the psyche.
This is an active color, one of the brightest in the palette, so in the interior you need to either use it in doses or give preference to muted shades.
How to choose a tone
- The more natural sunlight in the room, the more subdued and cold shade is needed.
- When choosing yellow wallpaper, consider what furniture will suit them. The same goes for finishes and decor. If warm colors prevail in the general palette of the room, choose the same temperature for the wall surface — and vice versa. Deep shades (ocher, gold, copper) look good with dark wood, and any light and bright colors will suit a natural light texture.
- In living rooms, it is better not to use pure yellow — let it be a little muted and diluted, with ocher or light beige.
- In the kitchen, the choice of tone depends on the tasks: if you want the atmosphere to stimulate the appetite, choose rich “delicious” shades. If not, your choice is a diluted, almost pastel tone.
- Light shades in combination with white visually expand the room and make it more spacious.
- Lemon — rich, bright, accent tone. Immediately attracts attention and illuminates the room. So that there is no psychological “overload”, it is better to use it locally — for example, in decor or highlight an accent wall with it.
- Egg yolk is a warm undertone of medium saturation, which is suitable for rooms with low light.
- Gold is a noble and deep shade that reveals itself on glossy surfaces and high-quality fabric textures. Often it can be found on brocade curtains and wallpaper in oriental style.
- Pale yellow is the one most often used to cover walls, because of all the variations it is the most neutral and has a minimal effect on the psyche. If you want to apply yellow wallpaper to all walls, especially in the bedroom or nursery, this is a good choice.
- Wheat — like the previous one, it belongs to neutral, but this is a darker and warmer variation, closer to creamy beige.
- Mustard is a warm, calm shade with a touch of brown. It is better to use it in bright spacious rooms — there it reveals a richness of halftones and creates a feeling of comfort. In a small room with a lack of natural light, it can look dirty and gloomy.
Colors in the interior
Gray-yellow: 27 interiors in the main colors of 2021
Types of wallpaper
There are about a dozen types — depending on the material from which the coating is made. We list the most common.
- Paper — inexpensive, environmentally friendly, suitable for most rooms, except for rooms with high humidity. There are lines for painting. The main drawback is fragility.
Vinyl — can be paper or non-woven. Sufficiently strong and wear-resistant, because they consist of two layers. They are non-toxic, not afraid of fungus and mold. There are moisture resistant models, so they are suitable for any room, including the kitchen and bathroom.
- Non-woven — an environmentally friendly coating, consisting of a lower substrate (non-woven) and a top layer. It can be vinyl or non-woven. The first option is more budgetary, is not afraid of water and mechanical influences, and serves for a long time. The second, in addition, allows air to pass through, so that the walls “breathe”, and the appearance of fungus or mold is excluded. That is why non-woven fabrics are recommended for use in a nursery.
- Textile — also have two layers: paper or interlining at the base and textile fabric on top. For the decorative layer, linen, viscose or cotton is most often used. The main advantages are a beautiful appearance, as well as good noise and heat insulation. Among the shortcomings, one can distinguish a relatively high price and the need for careful maintenance: such a coating is sensitive to dirt and easily collects dust.
- Fiberglass is a modern wall cloth, made from special glass threads that form a strong and durable coating. This type is hypoallergenic, reliable and resistant to mechanical stress. Well masks uneven walls. By itself, this coating has no color, it always goes under painting.
Liquid — combine the functions of wallpaper, plaster and paint. Sold as a dry mix, which is diluted with water and applied to the walls, like a regular finish. They have good sound and heat insulation, are easy to clean, and are environmentally friendly. Of the minuses — the coating dries for a long time, and also absorbs moisture, so it is better to use them in residential areas.
Colors in the interior
What colors go with yellow: 6 best combinations and 67 photos
What to combine
As a general rule, the floor should be 1-2 tones darker than the walls, the ceiling — vice versa. If a bright shade is used only for an accent wall, you need to understand which wallpaper goes well with yellow wallpaper. It is better if these are neutral basic tones: gray, beige, white, terracotta. Analogous combinations of “neighbors” on the color wheel look good: yellow-green or yellow-orange. If the surface has a pattern, the finish can repeat its palette.
If the finish itself is bright, the furniture is selected neutral. Better — a few tones darker, so it will stand out against the background of the floor and walls. The texture of wood goes well with bright yellow wallpaper: it calms the rich color and looks more noble against such a background. For upholstered furniture, the upholstery can match the tone of the wall covering.
What curtains are suitable for yellow wallpaper?
- Harmonious combinations are obtained with gray, purple, blue, beige, terracotta, brown, blue, white and red.
- If there is an ornament on the walls, it is better to make the curtains plain — and vice versa.
- Curtains should be 1-2 shades darker or lighter than the finish.
- By color, the curtains can be combined with one of the elements of the palette (the main tone of the finish, the color of the print, furniture, other textiles) or be a neutral background. In this case, calm shades of gray or beige are suitable for them.
- If the windows face north and there is always little light in the room, it is better to abandon heavy curtains in favor of light white tulle. In combination with golden or lemon, it will fill the space with air and sunlight.
How to choose the perfect curtains: a useful and detailed guide
Ideas for different rooms with yellow wallpaper
In the living room, warm sunny shades create a positive atmosphere conducive to communication and joint leisure. Such a palette will fit especially well into the interior of the hall with windows to the north or northwest.
In a classic or neoclassical interior, the traditional companions of gold or pale yellow are beige and white. You can experiment and combine the finish with black, blue, purple or green. If the canvas is printed, then its additional colors can be duplicated in furniture, textiles or decor to unify the palette.
In the kitchen, this color is appetizing, so choose its intensity depending on how much you want to enhance this effect. If the cooking area is small, complement the palette with white — it can be decoration, furniture, or one of the colors of the ornament.
You can highlight with a sunny shade the area where the dining group is located, or even an apron — in this case, the wall must be covered with a transparent protective screen. Use moisture-resistant coatings: non-woven, vinyl, fiberglass are suitable.
Since yellow is energy and vivacity, in a concentrated form it is suitable for the bedroom of those owners who find it difficult to get up in the morning. In other cases, it is better to choose diluted muted variations for the wall covering: honey, light, cream, cheesy, mustard.
Canvases with a large but non-contrasting print look good in the bedroom — you can highlight the accent wall behind the head of the bed, and choose a solid neutral tone for the rest. Furniture can be light or wooden to enhance the atmosphere of warmth and comfort.
In a room for children with this color, you need to be careful: its overabundance can provoke overexcitation, headaches and whims. It is better to take only part of the wall under the sun or lemon, or choose a diluted watercolor undertone, be sure to complement the overall palette of the nursery with calm pastel or achromatic colors. With the right dosage, yellow will invigorate, give a good mood and set you up for creativity, as well as stimulate the brain.
Detailed color guide for children’s room
Moisture-resistant wallpapers are chosen for the bathroom and, as a rule, they are used in a “dry” storage area or highlight a wall with a sink and a mirror. Since the bathroom is usually small in size, a vertical stripe print will help visually stretch it up. You can choose a floral or abstract ornament, but it is better that the pattern is small.