Bath stoves have long been famous in Russia. They were made using brick or metal. In the steam rooms not only washed away the dirt from the body, but also cleansed the soul. Now, almost all owners of private households are building on their land, in addition to residential households, also a bathhouse. Moreover, they prefer to make a firebox in the steam room with their own hands.
Brief content of the article:
Description of the furnace for a metal bath and its main characteristics
Of course it is possible, buy metal stove in bath. However, the best option would be to make it yourself. A simple option is a potbelly stove, which is a metal structure equipped with a door and a pipe. Low heat transfer and significant financial costs for the purchase of fuel do not allow efficient use of the heating installation, so it can be seen in rare cases.
Another thing is modern iron stoves. Their attractiveness, high efficiency and the highest fire safety rating are impressive. Produced sheet metal, more than 0.4 cm thick. The structural components are:
- it is customary to use a thermal chamber for backfilling and storing stones;
- there is a tank designed to store water with a volume of 30-70 liters.
Iron sauna stove requires facing with refractory bricks. This makes it possible to evenly heat the air in the room and makes the structure completely safe for operation.
Design features of the sauna stove
Iron stoves differ in design, the type of which is determined by the drawing.
There are such varieties:
|Devices with a closed design||Compact, economical. To increase the heat capacity index, the installations are lined with red refractory bricks both outside and inside. The material is fixed with metal braces. The grate for stones is located in the middle part of the structure.|
|Devices with an open design||They have a small tank and an open heater. They are installed in a steam room to warm it up quickly and efficiently. A galvanized cover, which covers the stones, is necessary for greater efficiency of the structure.|
|Combined type structures||A distinctive feature is the presence of a firebox equipped with two valves, a blower, a grate, a pair of nozzles of various diameters (10cm and 14cm). For such installations, sheets made of high-quality steel are used. Iron thickness reaches 5mm.|
Iron stove in the bath may include a furnace body located horizontally or vertically with respect to the floor, two chambers with vertical loading and a heater located inside the structure. Sauna stove from iron can be three-chamber, with horizontal wood loading, a water tank, a heater.
A vertical firebox makes it possible to save more free space in the steam room, however, firewood burns for a short time and will have to be constantly thrown up in order to maintain the required ambient temperature. The horizontal firebox has significant dimensions, occupies a significant amount of free space, but firewood burns more slowly. Devices of this kind are installed outside the steam room (in the dressing room), so there is a real opportunity to heat both rooms at the same time.
Varieties of furnaces in shape
Do-it-yourself metal sauna stoves may be in the form:
Rectangular installations are considered the most popular, because their corner zones do not heat up to a very high temperature. The shape of the device is directly related to the uniformity of heating of both the installation itself and the room. Cylindrical and round units have the lowest degree of heat transfer, so a fairly thick iron for their production. Rectangular structures are distinguished by enviable stability, but they have cold corners.
Methods for the production of an iron stove in a bath with your own hands
One of the most affordable and common options stoves in the bath considered to be:
- with three compartments and a vertical boiler;
- with a horizontal firebox mounted in the steam room;
- with a heater and a firebox door installed in the dressing room;
- shaped like a boot, with a stove mounted in a chimney, a stainless steel water tank;
- a device lined with fireclay bricks inside, red outside.
Moreover, facing with heat-resistant facing bricks is needed to maintain the temperature in the steam room at 70 degrees. In this case, the walls of the structure do not heat up significantly. Due to the high temperature, the filler of the heater is heated. A significant temperature is kept in the chimney, which makes the structure very fire hazardous. It is possible to reduce the danger by arranging a heater or a water tank around the chimney.
You can overlay the unit from the outside, but the iron walls will burn out quickly enough. To significantly increase the operational life of the structure, it is necessary to take a sufficiently thick iron for of the desired structure, or to clad the installation so that there is sufficient free space between the base and the brick.
Harm to human health, prevention of skin burns, minimization of the possibility of ignition of wooden structures, stove structure in the bath from three sides they are covered with refractory bricks or equipped with a frame made of thin alloy steel. The holes made in the frame contribute to the improvement of air exchange.
Positive and negative qualities of heating units installed in the bath
Homemade sauna stove metal is endowed with not only positive qualities, but also negative ones. The main ones are:
|small size||It does not have a real opportunity to accumulate a lot of thermal energy, therefore it cools down in a too short period of time|
|The heating rate is significant||Can’t heat a large room|
|Able to maintain the temperature in the room at the proper level||To ensure fire safety, there is a need to equip the body with additional skin|
|Possibility of using improvised materials|
|Low manufacturing costs|
|Substantial thermal conductivity|
|Ease of installation work|
|Won’t take much free time|
|It is not worth spending significant effort and money to build a high-strength foundation|
Ease of installation work and low costs are important components for everyone who decides to make do-it-yourself sauna oven gland. Ability to read correctly blueprints necessary. Non-compliance with the technological process, poor quality of the materials used, improper or irrational use of the bath structure can contribute to the occurrence of a fire.
The main list of materials and auxiliary tools that you will need to create a stove in a bath with your own hands
If you have decided on what needs to be built do-it-yourself sauna oven metal, then first you need to make stove drawing, where the configuration and parameters of the structure, as well as its components, will be determined. And stove drawing You can draw both yourself, and find the necessary option on the Internet.
To get started, you need to purchase the following tools:
- Welding apparatus.
- Electrodes 3 or 4 mm in diameter.
In addition to the above, you must have:
- Iron sheet 2 or 3 mm thick.
- A pipe with a diameter of 100 — 150 millimeters.
- Wheel disks in the amount of 4 pieces.
- Iron reinforcement 8 or 10 mm in diameter (can be replaced with a metal bar).
To create a heating system to the bath from iron will need the following building material:
- Sand and gravel — about 0.1 cubic meters.
- High-quality cement — 3 bags of 50 kg.
- Red brick — about 350 pieces.
It must be taken into account that a warm air stream is drawn out by a discharged cold stream. Moreover, warm air rises from the bottom up. Traction is affected by weather conditions: in the summer, due to warm and humid air, traction is less. In winter, when it’s cold outside, the draft is stronger. The diameter of the pipe also affects the traction force. With a pipe of small diameter, warm air will rub against its walls, which will lead to significant deceleration and the inability to quickly escape from the chimney. The result may be the creation of a smoke plug, which will lead to smoke in the room itself.
Experts recommend before construction in the bath iron furnace construction, it is necessary to study the principles of pressure, draft, determine the diameter of the chimney and furnace. A pipe that is too wide will slow down the release of gas and smoke to the outside, which will lead to clogging and the need for constant cleaning. The optimal speed of smoke exit from the pipe is from 5 to 8 m / s.
We equip the foundation for a metal sauna stove with our own hands
If the materials and tools are available, you can proceed to the construction of the structure. First you need to mount the base, on which the structure is subsequently installed. Despite the light weight and small dimensions, the arrangement of the foundation is a prerequisite for the safe location of such an installation in the steam room. It should be borne in mind that the weight of the new unit will be about 8 tons, and after some time, after shrinkage, its weight will be halved.
The question arises: “How deep should the foundation be made?” This indicator is influenced by many factors:
- strength and heaving of the soil;
- depth of soil freezing;
- the depth of the foundation of the steam room itself;
- the presence of groundwater and the depth of their occurrence;
- at what stage of construction is the bath itself.
If the soil is sandy or dry, then it is worth deepening the foundation by 0.8 m. With heaving soils, it is worth making a deepening below the freezing level of the soil (usually 1.5 m deep).
During installation for the stove in a bath of any kind, even if ultralight thin steel is used in its manufacture, a base is necessary. The foundation must necessarily be level so that the structure does not turn out to be skewed.
When installing a device made of sheet steel, the weight of which is at least 150 kg, the construction of the foundation is reduced to the following steps:
- first you need to dig a pit, fill the bottom with rubble and compact it with high quality;
- on top of the compacted gravel, a cement mortar is poured, consisting of sand (4 parts), cement (1 part), water until an average consistency is obtained. Leave to dry for 24 hours. The so-called sole is formed;
- to enhance the waterproofing, pieces of roofing material are laid on a completely hardened cement mortar;
- after the pit is filled with concrete mortar, consisting of fine gravel (4 parts), cement (1 part), sand (2.5 parts), water (by eye);
- using the building level, a clearly horizontal position of the foundation is determined.
It is advisable not to use the foundation for a couple of weeks, so that the cement mortar is completely frozen.
How to make a DIY oven using metal
I would like to note that you can make a bath stove in various ways using a variety of items. Let’s take a look at the most common options.
We build a bath stove based on an old cylinder
The stages of work are as follows:
- We select the desired key and unscrew the balloon valve.
- To avoid an explosion, fill the balloon to the brim with water so that the remaining gas is displaced.
- We find the seam on the balloon in the upper part and cut off the top along it using a grinder.
- In the cut part, we make the holes necessary to install the door.
- We make a hole in the body for connecting the pipe to the chimney.
- We weld corners to the cylinder, on which grates welded from metal bars will be installed.
- The cut off upper part of the cylinder, by means of welding, is attached back to the place from which it was cut off.
- We attach hinges for the door, as well as constipation, to the doors.
- We take a pipe with a diameter of 40mm, cut out the legs from it, which are attached to the bottom of the case.
- We fix the pipe for the chimney.
- In order for the previous layer of paint to completely burn out, it is necessary to take the structure out into the open air, melt the fire and ignite it well.
- After the balloon is degreased, then painted. How to paint an oven? It is best to use heat-resistant enamel. After painting, the structure is well dried.
- The last step is the installation of a bath heating structure on an equipped foundation.
We use an iron pipe for the manufacture of a metal structure
To work, you need a pipe with a diameter of 530mm. We take the following steps:
- First you need to cut out the bottom, cover, compartment partitions 0.5 cm thick.
- After the edges of the pipe are prepared.
- Grids are welded taking into account the diameter of the pipe.
- Holes are made in the amount of three pieces: for the hatch where the stones will be loaded, for the furnace door and the ash pan.
- We make round holes in the partitions, fasten them in the pipe to make a structure divided into separate sections.
- One part of the loop is attached to the upper edge of the pipe, where the water will be. The other part of the loop is attached to the lid. The faucet is mounted at the bottom of the tank.
- We weld the canopies for the doors to the holes made in advance.
- Install the chimney pipe.
After the structure installed on the foundation, it is necessary to overlay with red ceramic bricks. Do not forget about the small gap between the metal walls and brickwork. To make it convenient to open the oven doors, windows are left in the masonry. Thanks to them, it will be possible to regulate the temperature in the steam room. In the process of laying bricks, it is worth using fireclay cement. The brick is placed on edge. The thickness of the masonry directly depends on the parameters of the rib.
Sauna stove in the form of a boot
In finished form, the design is quite bulky and heavy, so experts recommend making its main parts separately, and then folding it like a designer, on a foundation mounted in advance. It should be borne in mind that using a grinder, hacksaw or cutter, you will not be able to make perfectly smooth edges. Therefore, it is advisable to resort to the help of a special tool — a guillotine.
The furnace design consists of four sections, resembling metal boxes of ideal geometric shape. The furnace (section No. 1) is connected to the chimney (section No. 2) by means of a fastening mechanism. The heater (section No. 3) is installed in the chimney. The water tank (section No. 4), made of alloy steel, is installed in front of the second box.
Let’s start manufacturing a metal structure:
- We mark the blanks on the metal.
- We cut the blanks with the necessary parameters using a guillotine.
- We fold the walls of the boxes and sign so as not to go astray.
- We take the details of the sections and weld them a little to the bottom wall.
- Using a grinder, we cut a hole in one wall through which steam will escape.
- Another small hole is made above the hole, near which bolts are attached on all sides, to which the door is attached. We fasten with brass nuts to prevent oxidation.
- Using asbestos thread, we wrap the door to form a tightness. Thanks to it, soot and soot are removed.
- The second box is taken, 2 — 4 holes are made in it with an indentation of 6 cm from the edge. This is where pipes will go.
- We take section No. 1 and cut out a section for the door and ash pan from the end. A hole is made in the upper part so that section No. 2 can be installed. To strengthen the hole, we weld a corner on one side. On the other sides, we weld 4-cm metal plates.
- We weld the plates to both the outer and inner surfaces, retreating from the edge a small distance and leaving a gap for installing section No. 2.
- To strengthen the attachment points of the doors, we weld the plates to section No. 1 and section No. 3 on each side.
- We make a lattice using steel rods. We insert it between the ash pan and the firebox.
- In order for the firewood to burn better, we weld grates in parallel with the blower.
- To strengthen section No. 3, you need to weld small scarves made of metal to it.
- We fix the cover with a cutout for the chimney pipe.
- We weld the skirt at the pipe installation site.
- Section No. 3 is installed on section No. 2.
- After complete assembly, all sections are carefully checked, the final welding of the structure is carried out. The seams must be of high quality so that they do not disperse, and carbon monoxide does not go inside the room through them.
Recommendations of specialists for installing a sauna stove made of iron
The main point is the presence of a quality foundation. After that, it is necessary to take a number of measures aimed at fire safety, which are as follows:
- It is worth installing a metal furnace from the wall at a distance of at least 100 cm.
- To prevent fire in the room, it is necessary to cover the walls in the immediate vicinity of the structure with foil and heat-insulating material, which will enable the wooden walls to avoid ignition.
- The iron stove assumes the presence of chimney insulation. You can resort to using sandwich pipes.
- It is mandatory to build a brick sarcophagus on top of an iron furnace. Its appearance will improve, safety from possible burns will increase when touching the hot metal walls of the furnace.
Without a stove, a bath becomes inferior and meaningless. Only thanks to a properly installed metal sauna stove, you can quickly warm up the steam room and create high-quality steam, which is so necessary for a great time in the bath and improving the physical condition of a person.
There is no need to purchase metal structures in specialized stores. With little experience, having acquired the necessary materials and tools, you can make a high-quality iron sauna stove with your own hands, which, in terms of its characteristics and aesthetic qualities, will not be inferior to foreign counterparts.
100 photos of a metal stove for a bath:
Save the article to your page:
Post published: 16.10
Join the discussion: