Benefits of using professional polyurethane foam
Construction mounting foam is a polyurethane foam composition for high-quality sealing of joints, fastening various structures and filling wide cracks. The composition of the mixture includes two main components — polyols (polyalcohols) and methylene diphenyl diisocyanate — a component that reacts with other substances and forms polyurethane. What is the difference between professional polyurethane foam and household foam and what advantages does it have, we will consider in our article.
Brief content of the article:
Differences between professional foam and household
The composition of the mixture is in most cases the same, so there are no significant differences. The difference between household and professional foam is that the first is produced in a cylinder with a disposable tube through which the mixture exits, and a special gun is required to work with a professional composition. In the first case, after opening the cylinder, you will have to work quickly, preventing the mixture from drying out in the tube, since it cannot be replaced and cleaned. In fact, this is a one-time packaging that cannot be stored for a long time.
At a price, household foam is cheaper, but if we are talking about the upcoming global renovation, then the savings can turn into big financial losses. Professional foam in this regard is more profitable in that the cylinder and gun are reusable, so when you need to process several door and window blocks or provide a more reliable fixation to a massive structure, it is better to choose this particular sealant option.
Characteristics of a quality professional foam
In order for the composition to perform its functions and serve for many years, it is important to choose the right mounting foam:
- Minimum shrinkage. In a quality product, it should not exceed 5%. Cheap formulations after polymerization — combining all the components of the mixture, does not give the foam the desired density, which leads not only to severe shrinkage, but also to gaps in the seams. If this happens, you will have to buy new foam and completely redo the work. To avoid such consequences, it is better to buy professional compositions of well-known brands.
- Resistance to negative factors. In order for high-quality mounting foam to last for many years, it is enough to cover it with plaster or, for example, plastic panels. In addition to direct sunlight, the composition is no longer afraid of anything. Low-quality materials do not tolerate moisture and temperature changes, so even plastering will not save them from premature destruction.
- High density. Professional dense polyurethane foam, for example, BiLife or another high-density brand, is a guarantee of good tightness, as well as heat and sound insulation. Poor-quality mixtures are looser, therefore they do not have such properties.
- Extension. Original products of proven brands are distinguished by an optimal level of expansion after applying the mixture to the surface, therefore, when used correctly, fully cured foam does not deform the treated structures.
- Volume. After application, the volume of quality material corresponds to that indicated on the package. Fakes, as a rule, fall short of the norm, which leads to high costs, since instead of one cylinder you will have to buy two or even more.
The listed technical characteristics are typical only for high-quality professional foam. Unfortunately, no one is safe from fakes, but in most cases, buyers of household formulations face them, so it’s better to still give preference to professional products.
Advantages of a gun for professional polyurethane foam
The above characteristics of high-quality professional foam can also be attributed to its advantages, so let’s consider what advantages a cylinder gun has:
- The tool is equipped with a mechanism with which you can accurately dose the amount of the mixture. It is not only economical, but also convenient. In addition to the fact that it is possible to independently adjust the foam layer depending on the width and depth of the seam, you can always independently stop its supply by releasing the trigger lever.
- Inside the device there is a special needle that blocks air from entering the can, so the composition is protected from solidification during operation.
- The ability to use the gun at any time and leave it stored for a long time.
- If work is carried out at height, then using the tool is both convenient and safe, since you can hold on to the handrail or ladder with one hand, and hold the balloon with mounting foam with the other.
In addition, in a high-quality pistol, the internal elements are made of metal, so with proper operation and proper care, the device will last for many years.
Save the article to your page:
Post published: 29.04
Join the discussion: