Finishing the bathroom with plastic panels
The bathroom is one of the «capricious» rooms in a house or apartment. This is due to constant temperature changes and high humidity levels. That is why the decoration of the walls of the bathroom requires a special approach. It has long been customary to use tiles for these purposes. It is ideal for use in such conditions and meets the requirements of hygiene. Why did they begin to look for alternative ways to finish the walls? But because the installation of tiles is a rather complicated and time-consuming procedure and the cost of the material, that is, tiles, is quite high. In this regard, plastic panels began to be used to finish the bathroom. They have a number of advantages and disadvantages.
The advantages of finishing the bathroom with plastic wall panels include ease of installation, affordable cost, a large selection of color palettes and relief structures, and resistance to moisture.
The disadvantages of finishing the bathroom with plastic wall panels include: instability with large temperature changes, release of toxic substances during combustion, color fading.
What should be considered when choosing plastic panels?
Given all the advantages and disadvantages of finishing the bathroom with plastic wall panels, there are several factors that must be taken into account, these are:
- Integrity and regularity of surface forms. When buying plastic panels for finishing the bathroom, be sure to pay attention to the absence of surface waviness, cracks and other damage. Such panels are not recommended for wall decoration in the bathroom, because “at the finish” the general appearance of the mounted material will look very depressing.
- Color uniformity of bath panels. If at the beginning the lamella is lighter, and towards the end it is darker, this is not very good. “At the finish line” of editing, this tint inconsistency will be sharply evident.
- Panel extension margin. The fact is that under prolonged exposure to high temperatures, plastic tends to expand, and as a result, elongation. If you do not want the plastic panels to not wave after finishing the bathroom, you should take into account the fact of elongation and leave a margin during installation.
Bathroom paneling is usually done in two ways:
- fastening panels to the crate;
- fixing panels on «liquid nails».
The first way to finish the bathroom with panels is quite simple and is well suited for a spacious room with uneven walls. Due to the mounted crate, the unevenness of the walls is hidden, and it also becomes possible to install a hidden water supply. This is very good in terms of aesthetics, but not very convenient in terms of practicality, because to fix the damage it is necessary to dismantle the finishing panels.
The second way to panel a bathroom is a little more complicated, as it requires some preparation to level the walls, if necessary. After using the «level» you establish that the walls of the bathroom are suitable for finishing, using a special glue «liquid nails» the panels are mounted. The advantage of the second method is that the bathroom space is not reduced.
It should also be noted that before you start decorating the bathroom with plastic panels in one of the above ways, you will also need to carry out one more preparatory measure — remove the fungus from the walls. Even if the walls are not affected by the fungus, for safety reasons it will be necessary to treat them with a special solution so that the mold does not progress under the panel.
Now you know about the advantages and disadvantages of plastic panels that are used for wall decoration in the bathroom, as well as how to fix them. The choice is yours.