wardrobe, sofa, armchair, computer desk
Balconies have long ceased to be a place of accumulation of old things with which the owners of the apartment are not yet ready to part. Loggia furniture is a great way to decorate a glazed space and turn it into an office, library or a place for gatherings with guests.
Loggia furniture — types
With the help of various details of the situation, it is really possible to modify the space of a glazed balcony, converting it into a full-fledged room with its own functions, albeit small ones. The furniture for the loggia can be the following elements of the interior:
- Built-in interior elements. They are used when it is possible to install cabinets without a back wall on the balcony, because the load-bearing wall will play its role. This is a space saving, which will not be available if there is no enclosing part between the loggia and the main room.
- Cabinet furniture. Cabinets for loggias and balconies of this type have independent walls and bottom, so they can be freely moved.
- Cushioned furniture. Those options that are suitable for a small room will also have compact dimensions.
- Wicker interior details. Rattan armchairs and tables create a cozy atmosphere and can be moved if needed.
Built-in patio furniture
Suspended and mounted on fixtures, the structure weighs little and can be modified at the request of the owner of the apartment. In addition to ready-made options from furniture stores, a built-in wardrobe for a loggia or bedside table can be independently designed and ordered in the workshop. Such furniture has several advantages:
- Case elements can even fit on two or three square meters and turn them into a full-fledged living space.
- The rejection of stationary walls and the bottom allows you to make the most of every free centimeter.
- In the built-in wardrobe you can store those things that are not often used in everyday life.
- Loggia furniture during the day can play the role of a closet, and at night it can turn into a bed.
Upholstered furniture for loggias
Choosing armchairs or a sofa for such a limited space is not an easy task. Here you need to consider the size of the balcony and the degree of its glazing. There are recommendations from design experts to ease the difficulties of buying:
- Sofas for balconies and loggias are not always appropriate: if this part of the apartment is partially open, then in late autumn and early winter they will become damp and become unusable.
- It is better to replace a full bed with a chair with a folding mechanism. The sofa-transformer can perform the same function.
- Preference should be given to private workshop craftsmen working on an individual order, because large manufacturers often produce goods with standard dimensions.
Rattan furniture for the balcony
Lovers of countryside romance and relaxed country style will appreciate the wicker furniture, which is easy to use in this part of the apartment. Such an interior will remind you of the classic arrangement of a veranda or gazebo. Rattan interior items have such advantages as:
- Practical care. The loggia table, like the chairs, can be wiped with a flannel cloth or cleaned with soapy water.
- Long term operation. Rattan is not afraid of high humidity and temperature changes, furniture does not fail with small impacts.
- Versatility in combination. Loggia furniture made of wicker materials goes well with natural wood, textiles, colored glass.
Loggia furniture — design
A glazed balcony can be compared in terms of arrangement with a small terrace, so you can use elements of styles designed for it. Country, Provence, classic, eco-style or Scandinavian are win-win design options. Any of them assumes that the set of furniture will include at least:
Sofa for the loggia
On the spacious loggia, you can place a sofa for which there is no place in the rest of the apartment. It is clear that it will differ in size from standard models, so it can be made to order or made by yourself. Choose from options such as:
- An ottoman made on the basis of a frame from an old sofa. You can put a mattress or a thick blanket on it in two layers — you get a seat that will replace a full-fledged sofa.
- The corner model is the easiest way to buy a small sofa for the loggia, which will not take up half the space and will make it possible to arrange other items functionally.
- The sofa bed is suitable for a loggia on which you can turn around: a one-room apartment can be divided in this way into a sleeping and guest area.
Loggia design — cabinets
If the shelves do not fit into the chosen interior, then the cabinet must be built-in or have a compartment format. Experts advise to arrange any of the selected options in the color scheme prevailing in the room: this way the piece of furniture will visually appear smaller. It is better to decorate the sliding wardrobe on the loggia with mirrored doors, which add volume to the space.
There are only two options for tables that are optimally suited for use on a glazed loggia: rattan and folding models. The first one is easy to move if necessary, since it weighs little, and the second option is a folding table on the loggia, fixed on one of the walls. It does not take up much space, because when folded it looks like a thin board pressed against the wall. The folding table has the following features:
- it is fixed with screws;
- leans on them or on small legs;
- made from lightweight materials;
- processed by impregnation from high humidity.
Armchair on the balcony
If the chair replaces the bed, then its mechanism must be ergonomic and reliable, designed for frequent loads: a competent choice will ensure trouble-free operation in the future. Considering a potential «candidate» for a chair-bed on a loggia, four aspects should be taken into account:
- Transformation mechanism. The folding chair does not have a box for linen and the bed is hidden under the seat. The roll-out model is equipped with small rollers that facilitate the preparation of the bed before going to bed, as well as a box for linen.
- Frame. Such furniture for a loggia, like a chair-bed, must have a solid base — not from wood, but from metal.
- Filler. If the design of the chair-bed does not provide for an orthopedic mattress in advance, foam rubber with a spring block will do.
- Upholstery. The skin of the frame should be hypoallergenic and pleasant to the touch. The most durable options are flock and eco-leather.
Computer desk on the balcony
This room can be turned into a mini-study by installing a computer table instead of a regular table. Due to the fact that you have to face the problem of limited space, you can pick it up by following these rules:
- The loggia table should be angular, because it really takes up little space and it has no back walls, which makes it easier to connect to outlets.
- It is worth installing an add-on on it so that each of the computer devices is in a specially designated place.
- A good table will have rounded corners, because only they will reduce the risk of injury on the loggia.