The decoration of the walls of the room is the finishing touch in the repair. Mural on the wall is an original way to make your home design unique. More often, the implementation of this type of decor is trusted by professionals, but you can try to decorate the surfaces yourself. It is important to familiarize yourself with the types and features of different species.
What is a wall mural?
This is an image made on wet plaster. When it dries, the pattern becomes a surface decoration. A fresco on the wall, what it is and how great it looks, has been known for a long time — it was used to decorate rich houses, temples, palaces. Famous icon painters and artists worked in this style. Currently, this area has become more developed due to the use of new technologies and a wide variety of materials in the construction industry.
Types of frescoes on the wall
Wall painting can be done using different materials and paints. Depending on this, the following types of frescoes are distinguished:
- on canvas;
- from flexible plaster;
- on a rigid basis;
- from a mosaic;
Mural on canvas
This type is among the most expensive. This technique of wall painting involves manual execution and the use of only natural materials. Cotton bases are more often used as a canvas. If you opted for this option, keep in mind that the decor element will require regular maintenance. A fresco on a wall on canvas is carried out in several stages:
- The image is applied to the plastered surface.
- The drawing is transferred to the canvas.
- The fresco is moved to the wall, fixed with wallpaper glue. Constant exposure to moisture from the environment can lead to the destruction of the wall painting, so it must be covered with a special protective wax composition.
This type of decor is characterized by the fact that it is the easiest to use. The self-adhesive mural on the wall gives the room an original appearance and has the following features:
- The production technology of this type of decor involves applying a paste with a special composition and consistency to a synthetic base. The second stage of manufacturing is the transfer of a digital image to the processed surface.
- If a self-adhesive wall mural is used, then wood, plaster, putty and other materials can become the basis for it, but the main condition must be met — the surface must be perfectly flat. The design element is a thin canvas that reveals all the flaws of the wall.
- As an image, you can use any picture, photo, drawing. In its appearance, this design resembles high-quality photo wallpapers-murals on the wall.
- This type of decor is easy to install.
- One of its features is that images do not lend themselves to artificial aging.
For its manufacture, an appropriate basis is used. The technologies used for production are the key to high-quality images. The canvas is large, so it can cover the entire surface without seams. To understand the non-woven fresco on the wall — what it is, it is worth disassembling the technique of its manufacture. It is carried out in several stages:
- Application of a thin layer of plaster (up to 3 mm) on non-woven fabric, to which it is fixed with a special binder.
- Using special techniques, a relief texture is made on the plaster.
- The image is transferred to the dried base by means of digital printing.
- When the canvas is ready, it is treated with a protective compound, after which it is rolled up.
Flexible plaster fresco
This is a popular way to decorate walls. For it, natural dyes and elastic plaster are used. A feature of this type of wall decoration is that it takes a long time to dry and harden, so the master has time to remake and refine the image. Thanks to this, a non-professional can do this process. Wall mural made of flexible plaster has the following features:
- During the manufacturing process, the material is applied to the fiberglass.
- This type of decor is universal because it can be used to decorate different materials.
- It can be used to decorate uneven surfaces.
Fresco on a rigid base
Ceramics, plastic, wood can be used as a base. If such a fresco is used on the wall, then flowers, people, animals, and other elements of the composition are voluminous, and the depth of the picture is also emphasized. When working with this coating, you can use different techniques and effects, for example, aging, imitation of chips, cracks. The images are massive, so it is advisable to decorate them with small areas — preferably no larger than 3×1.5 m. They are wear-resistant, durable, strong. The following methods of fixing a fresco on a rigid basis are used:
- through holders;
- using mounting adhesive;
- fixing the composition in plaster on the wall.
This type of decoration can be attributed to the monumental and decorative art. Such beautiful wall murals have a number of features:
- conciseness, clarity of lines;
- lack of small details;
- production from fragments of multi-colored materials — glass, semi-precious stones, pebbles, marble.
Translated from French, the name of this technique sounds like “crack”. The images are made in the spirit of an artistic rarity, which, when a silvery or golden background is added, acquires the illusion of radiance. Craquelure fresco on the wall has the following features:
- Cracks and the effect of aging images can be achieved by adding marble chips to the paint.
- Applying a fresco on a wall using this type of decor is an excellent solution for decorating a room in high-tech style.
- Using this technique, you can make portraits and other types of empire compositions.
Mural styles on the wall
This way of decorating surfaces can not only emphasize, but also formulate the main idea of \u200b\u200bthe design of the room. The result depends on the style in which it is made, what pattern is on the wall and in what technique it is applied. Fresco can be made and combined with the following styles:
- The use of frescoes made of flexible plaster, craquelure technique, images on canvas is a good way to emphasize the classic style of the room. For example, these can be images of flowers, still lifes, reproductions of world famous works of art. Thanks to the techniques used, an imitation of a fresco on a 3D wall is recreated.
- High-tech, modern, loft style includes digital, geometric images, urban landscapes.
- Oriental motifs are perfectly emphasized by lush ornaments in the traditional style, compositions with fauna and flora.
- You can complement the Provence style with frescoes on canvas depicting country landscapes.
- In a room designed in the spirit of romanticism, it would be appropriate to place paintings with old streets.
Fresco in the interior
Each room in an apartment or house has its own plot. The technique of monumental painting, images are selected depending on the purpose of the room. You can decorate the walls in this way any room:
- living room;
- children’s room.
Mural on the wall in the living room
This is a room where all family members gather together, guests are located. The fresco on the wall in the hall should match its style. There are many options for decorating this room:
- Still life. Such an idea would be appropriate if the living room is connected to the kitchen, forming a single space.
- Landscape. This plot is universal — it will fit into the hall of any style, creating a comfortable, soothing atmosphere.
- Portrait. This option is not the most common choice, but in a classic or Empire style living room, it will look appropriate. The fresco on the wall of the hall in the form of a portrait should depict the inhabitant of the house, and more often the head of the family becomes its hero.
- Oriental motives. Such a composition gives the room sophistication, sophistication.
Mural on the wall in the bedroom
This room should be dominated by tranquility, peace, its interior is designed to promote healthy sleep and relaxation. Not all stories will be appropriate for decorating it. For example, if a fresco is chosen as a decoration, peonies on a wall or other scenes on the theme of nature are a good choice, but images of cities, portraits are not the best ideas. The following options should also be considered:
- Baroque style. It is desirable to use pastel colors for images, which can be diluted with saturated shades in small quantities. It is better to decorate niches with a fresco.
- Antique motifs. They will fill the bedroom with splendor, luxury, color harmony. Avoid contrasts when making such an interior to create a soft, calm atmosphere.
- Bible themes. A fresco on a wall in this style will bring an atmosphere of peace and security to its inhabitants.
- Reproductions of the works of artists. Such images will fill the room with sophistication and sophistication.
Fresco on the wall in the hallway
This room welcomes the owners of the house and their guests, so it should create a pleasant, welcoming atmosphere. It is desirable that the fresco on the wall in the corridor be made in light shades. You can also use black and white. You can choose from the following themes:
- Landscape with perspective. This option will visually increase the space of the hallway.
- Composition depicting ancient cities, streets. This idea will help create a cozy atmosphere in the room.
- If the design of the house or apartment is made in modern styles, then it is desirable to design the corridor in them.
- To visually increase the hallway space, a decorative wall mural with a 3D effect can be used.
- Water spaces. Plots with endless seas and oceans will help visually expand the space, create a sense of harmony and a positive mood.
Mural on the wall in the kitchen
This design method can give a special charm to this room. A mural on the wall in the kitchen can be created using the following ideas:
- Made in light colors, the wall painting will visually increase the size of the room.
- Thanks to the decorative ornament, it is possible to delimit the working area from the recreation and eating area.
- Landscapes, images with the seashore, the horizon — one of the ways to visually increase the space.
- If the room is made in a classic or modern style, the fresco on the kitchen wall should have clear lines, geometric shapes.
- Still life is a universal plot for decorating this room.
- For a high-tech kitchen, you should use a rough texture decoration with graphic images, avant-garde drawings, pop art photos.
- For a room made in Provence design, a wall painting with rustic motifs, in the traditions of rustic, country, would be appropriate.
- Ethnic style is complemented by colorful images.
Mural on the wall in the children’s room
The design of this room depends on the age and gender of its inhabitant. Ideas might be:
- For a small child’s room, images of cartoon characters, fairy-tale characters are suitable. Children’s girls will decorate pictures with princesses, castles, and boys prefer adventure stories.
- Suitable mural on the wall in the nursery for a teenager — depicting urban motifs. Abstraction may also be to the taste of its inhabitant.
- A teenager can also like the image of his favorite performer, actor.
- Animalistic, floral plots are a good choice for this room.
- To order, a fresco can be made on the wall in the nursery with the image of its inhabitant.