Floor on the balcony — how to insulate the floor on the balcony and how to cover it?
When deciding how to make the floor on the balcony, you need to take into account the main factor: you want to get a warm or cold room as a result of the repair. In different conditions, the same coating will serve differently, so the choice of finishing material has a number of features.
Floor screed on the balcony
Leveling the floor on the balcony has both an aesthetic side and is done to insulate the surface, protect it from any aggressive influence. To obtain high-quality floors, the best option for screeding on the balcony is to use a cement-sand, concrete or dry mix. It is more expedient to use modern lightweight dry compositions based on gypsum with foam additives, they reduce the load on the balcony slab, unlike cement compositions.
When choosing a screed for the floor on the balcony, consider the operating conditions and the degree of load. There are three main types of screed:
- Wet. Provides for filling with a cement-sand mixture. This type is more durable and durable, but significantly increases the weight on the base.
- Dry. With this method, the floor is covered with bulk materials (expanded clay, vermiculite, crushed stone are used), then plywood or drywall is laid. Dry screed allows you to hide the communications laid in it.
- Semi-dry. It differs from wet in lower water content in the solution, so it is more durable, the solidification process is faster and without much dirt.
How to cover the floor on the balcony?
It is necessary to approach the solution of the question of what to make the floor on the balcony from a practical point of view, depending on the operating conditions. Temperature fluctuations, high humidity, sunlight, as well as the functional purpose of this room — all this affects the choice of finishing material. For an open, unglazed balcony, some types of coatings will be unacceptable; for insulated rooms, almost any finishing materials are suitable:
- wood, fiberboard, chipboard, plywood;
- porcelain tiles;
- bulk floor.
Wooden floor on the balcony
The floor on the balcony from the boards can be recommended for indoor types of premises, it is light, warm, its load on the supporting structures is small. To make the floor on the balcony last for a long time, it is better to choose the following types of wood:
You should not choose pine or linden as wood for the balcony floor, they quickly rot. Be sure to treat the floor made of boards with special products designed to protect wood, then paint or varnish it, this will not only improve the appearance, but also create protection from negative, atmospheric influences.
Tiles on the balcony on the floor
It is better to choose tiles on the balcony on the floor that are frost-resistant, thin, and light in weight. Tile is a beautiful material, but cold, it is advisable to use it as a coating on heated floors. It is able to withstand high humidity, the floor with such a finish is practical and outwardly attractive. When choosing a material, pay attention to the following aspects:
- The quality of modern porcelain stoneware or clinker tiles is higher than that of tiles. Due to low temperature or high humidity, these types of tiles will not crack or collapse.
- Rough surface. Being less slippery, it will reliably ensure your safety.
- Strength class. Experts do not recommend using low, first class tiles, they are short-lived. For closed types of premises, the second and third classes are sufficient; for non-insulated balconies, it is better to purchase a more durable fourth or fifth class.
Filling the floor on the balcony
To fill the floor on the balcony, experts advise using special dry mixes with the addition of cement. Self-leveling floor can serve as a basis for finishing, and be used as an independent coating. Finishing the floor on the balcony by pouring is simple and durable; modern liquid polymers can be used for it, forming a thick and durable protective layer. The aesthetic appeal of the flooded floor is low, but at any time you can change the color of the floor, refresh it using paint.
Cork floor on the balcony
When thinking about what to lay on the floor on the balcony, consider the option of cork flooring, which, having a number of excellent performance qualities, is well-deservedly popular. The advantages of this type of flooring include:
- The porosity of the material, which prevents the accumulation of moisture, decay, the formation of mold, fungal deposits.
- Excellent sound and heat insulation qualities.
- High class of fire resistance, fire safety.
- A variety of designs, a large selection of wood textures.
- Ease of installation.
This type of floor finish can be used on a glazed balcony, which is protected from precipitation. Cork reacts negatively to temperature changes, especially if natural materials were used in its production. Cork slab is not cheap, so you should treat such floors with care, their soft structure is afraid of excessive loads, damage by sharp objects.
Balcony floor — laminate
When choosing what material to use for the floor on the balcony, some owners allow themselves to use laminate as a coating, provided that the balcony is well-glazed and moisture cannot get inside. When using a laminate as a finishing floor material, a heat-insulating layer must be laid under it, otherwise it will warp. The base under it is perfectly leveled.
Laminate installed on the floor on the balcony, choose durable, not lower than class 31, and in some cases (with insufficient insulation of the balcony) choose class 33, it has a solid resistance to temperature fluctuations and moisture. The advantages of this material are:
- Variety of designs, colors, multiple imitation options (stone, wood, parquet, tiles).
- Does not deteriorate from exposure to ultraviolet radiation.
- Easy to install, durable.
- Able to endure increased load without deforming.
- Resistant to fire.
Balcony floor — linoleum
The floor on the balcony, finished with linoleum, looks cozy and attractive at home. When deciding how to lay the floor on the balcony, many people are guided by the following criteria:
- The practicality of the material, its wear resistance and long service life.
- Aesthetic appearance and a variety of design options.
- Easy care flooring.
- Low price.
All these requirements are met if the finishing material is linoleum. When choosing it, give preference to the type with a higher load capacity, which means that it will have a longer service life. Be sure to lay a heat-insulating layer under the linoleum, using mineral wool, foam plastic or chipboard for this. Lay linoleum on the floor in a single piece, avoiding joints in the coating, so you exclude the possibility of moisture leaking under it.
How to insulate the floor on the balcony?
Up to 20% of the heat, even on a balcony with well-insulated walls and a window opening, is lost through the floor, this moment should be given special attention. The heater is selected taking into account:
- The technical condition of the premises, the integrity and strength of structures and ceilings.
- Local climatic features, humidity levels.
- Characteristics of the used decorating materials.
A variety of heaters offered by the construction market can be both traditional and new, modern with improved technical characteristics. The following heaters can be attributed to the past test of time:
- mineral wool;
- expanded clay.
Balcony floor insulation with penoplex, a modern heat-insulating agent, is one of the most reliable. Penoplex is a tile material that is attached to the base with special, plastic self-tapping screws. Penoplex plates are interconnected with the help of locks (groove-thorn), which eliminates the formation of gaps, mounting foam is poured into the joints.
Heated floor on the balcony
A well-maintained balcony with underfloor heating will be an excellent additional room. To understand which floor on the balcony is better, you need to familiarize yourself with the various solutions and installation systems:
- Electric floor. Cables, mats or a special infrared heating film are used for installation.
- Water floor. A water circuit system is mounted for it.
With a water system, uniform heating of the surface is ensured, while saving electricity. The disadvantage is the inability to control the heating temperature. The electric floor on the balcony is a more common option, it is easier to install and operate. To equip a heated floor on a balcony, first eliminate the presence of cracks and leaks, since moisture ingress will negatively affect the operation of the system.
Electric underfloor heating on the balcony
If we make the floor on the balcony with electric heating, then there can be two options for using the heating element:
- Heating mats. The system is safe, the floor thickness increases minimally. It is a grid with cables attached to it in the form of snakes, at a distance of 5 cm from each other. The main convenience of the method is that the mat can be cut into fragments, in connection with the layout of the balcony.
- Cable system. It is more expedient and widespread, it is used on balconies of any configuration, the cable is easy to bend and give it any shape.
Infrared floor heating on the balcony
The infrared floor on the balcony is equipped with a flexible ultra-thin film sold in rolls. For use on a balcony, it is more cost-effective and easy to install. Fast heating, low power consumption, safety — this is the list of its main advantages. When laying, no additional equipment is required, you just need to lay the sheets on the floor and secure with adhesive tape.
Floor on the open balcony
On the open balcony, only materials intended for exterior decoration are used to decorate the floor. The most commonly used options are:
- Porcelain or ceramic tiles. Does not react to temperature changes, sunlight, moisture, has a large assortment range.
- Terrace board. Resistant to rot and moisture, lightweight, durable and aesthetically pleasing.
- Concrete floors. For decor, you can use a weather-resistant type of paint, apply it to concrete in 2-3 layers. The floor thickness on the balcony is 2-4 cm, while it is durable and wear-resistant. The method is not expensive, but not practical either, every 2-3 years the staining is done again.