Decorative plaster in the bathroom
New methods of surface coating, such as decorative plaster in the bathroom, are becoming more popular thanks to modern finishing materials. The result is a relief or smooth texture, non-standard design of the room and an arbitrary color of the cladding.
Is it possible to do decorative plaster in the bathroom?
Modern mixtures have all the proper properties so that they can be used in a room with high humidity. The main thing is to correctly select the composition for finishing, level and clean the surfaces. The most successful option is moisture-resistant plaster for a bathroom based on cement or gypsum. Other types of grout will flake off walls over time in conditions of heavy condensation.
Decorative plaster in the bathroom — the pros and cons
This method of finishing the bathroom has its advantages:
- Increased degree of vapor permeability. Even a dried mixture absorbs moisture from the air when it is in excess and gives it away when it is deficient. This regulates the microclimate in the room and reduces the amount of steam during the adoption of water procedures, the risk of mold and mildew is minimal.
- Easy care. Most decorative plasters in the bathroom have an antistatic property — dirt practically does not settle on them. If necessary, the compositions easily tolerate cleaning with sponges and household chemicals.
- Possibility to create a unique interior. Decorative plaster for the bathroom can imitate natural materials, create relief patterns in any color scheme.
The disadvantages of decorative coating include:
- Installation difficulties. The strength and durability of the finish depends on compliance with the technology of applying solutions and literacy in surface preparation, otherwise the result may be a layer that has collapsed over time.
- Difficulty of dismantling if a new repair is needed. From the plastered walls, the material has to be literally torn off, which takes a lot of time and effort.
Finishing the bathroom with decorative plaster
It is important to remember that the decoration of the bathroom with decorative plaster is made on a scrupulously prepared surface. To do this, do the following:
- Clean the walls and ceiling from the past coating — paint, whitewash, tiles.
- Cover all existing chips, cracks.
- Mount metal beacons on a clean site.
- Put a layer of new mortar on the beacons.
For waterproofing and leveling surfaces, it is better to use a sanitizing mixture. It absorbs excess moisture and does not crack over time. Sanitizing composition creates a moisture-absorbing layer, which is an indispensable requirement when facing a room with high humidity. The result is a perfectly leveled area on which you can apply the finish layer.
Decorative wall plaster in the bathroom
After leveling the walls, proceed to the finishing of the room. It is produced in several stages:
- The wall is primed with a deep penetration solution. The first layer is plentiful, it should dry well. The second is designed to completely remove dust, it is applied right before plastering.
- Then decorative plaster is applied to the walls of the bathroom. The finishing solution is thrown onto the wall, leveled, and they begin to create the intended relief. If the surfaces must be smooth, then grouting is done.
- After the finish layer dries, the walls are covered with wax, paint, depending on the design.
Decorative plaster of the bathroom ceiling
Waterproof decorative plaster for the bathroom is applied to a smooth ceiling. The method of its alignment is due to the magnitude of the differences in floor slabs:
- If the thickness of the transitions is less than 2 mm, then you can putty cracks or plaster the ceiling.
- When the differences in the slabs are more than 5 mm, it is better to level them with drywall, after smoothing the seams with putty.
The technique for applying the finish is similar to puttying. The material is applied from the bottom up, leveled with uniform movements, a conceived pattern is created on it — the raw solution on the ceiling is processed with a structural roller, spatula, brush or grater. In order to improve the performance and aesthetic qualities, it can be painted.
Bathroom design with decorative plaster
Moisture-resistant decorative plaster in the bathroom — a dry mix with fillers that allow you to imitate different materials: granite or marble, silk or metal, as well as polymers that create a protective layer. Mineral crumbs are added to some compositions, in which case the wall will become embossed. To decorate a beautiful design in the bathroom with decorative plaster, you can use any mixture, as long as it is waterproof. The ideal choice would be the composition to create a smooth texture. It can be polished to a shine, covered with a protective layer of varnish or wax.
Venetian plaster for the bathroom
The best finishing option would be Venetian decorative plaster in the bathroom, which is based on stone dust (granite, quartz, marble). During the finishing, a transparent elastic mixture is applied to the walls in several layers (their number reaches ten) and carefully rubbed and polished. The platform is very smooth, perfectly polished.
Venetian plaster in the bathroom imitates stone textures (granite, marble, travertine), the layers in it can have both an opaque and translucent texture. With this finish, you can only operate with a variety of colors of the composition and some effects in the form of a cracked wall. To add shine, the Venetian is covered with wax, the resulting gloss plays the role of additional waterproof protection.
Marble plaster in the bathroom
Fine-grained marble mixture is made from stone flour and polymers. Thanks to the ability to color the crumbs with pigments, the compositions are produced in a huge color palette — from white and pastel tones to bright and dark ones. For an aesthetic effect, mother-of-pearl, sparkles are added to the solution, the walls are protected with varnish and wax. Marble plaster in the interior of the bathroom attracts with the perfect gloss and transparency of the layers, which give the surface the effect of depth inherent in natural stone.
Plaster bark beetle in the bathroom
The classic structural plaster mixture that creates a relief on the surface is the bark beetle. In its composition there are grains of a large fraction, the solution is colored before application by adding any pigment. The decor is created with a grater — by means of vertical or horizontal movements, furrows are formed on the walls, due to circular ones — lambs.
The texture is matte, walls and ceilings can be painted over the top coat. Due to the use of colors that are different from each other, it is possible to distinguish various sections in the interior — to create panels, ornaments on the ceiling or walls. The disadvantage of the structural texture is that its depressions trap water and dirt. The use of decorative plaster in the bathroom (embossed bark beetle) in the future causes problems with cleaning surfaces.
Techniques for applying decorative plaster in the bathroom
To create relief ornaments, different application techniques are used. Finishing the bathroom with decorative plaster is carried out using the following techniques:
- Uniformly rough — using a broom or a crumpled newspaper placed in a plastic bag, a relief resembling «goose skin» is stuffed. A roller is used to create rough textures.
- Furrowed-rough — after throwing a mixture with coarse-grained elements with a grater, furrows of the «bark beetle» type are formed.
- Furrowed — the method is carried out using a template by punching the relief on a damp surface. For example, the effect of sea shells is created by circular movements, straight furrows by linear ones. The method allows you to make an imitation of brick or masonry.
- Modeling — an artistic method, on the surface with a brush, a sponge, three-dimensional drawings are created: flowers, leaves, vignettes.
- Venetian — plastering is carried out by layer-by-layer application of mixtures with various shades, after which repeated grouting, cleaning of the layers is carried out.
- Coloring — a plastered wall or ceiling is easy to decorate with ready-made store stencils, making a unique pattern.