Children’s room for children of different sexes
For families living in a small house or apartment where it is not possible to provide separate rooms for children, a shared nursery is an inevitable option. When two boys or two girls share a place, it is easier to arrange it, because their interests will somehow intersect. However, a children’s room for children of different sexes is a difficult task in creating a functional space for both.
How to equip a room for two children of different sexes?
Since each child has his own temperament, taste and personal preferences, designers and psychologists recommend that the room for a boy and a girl be divided into three parts:
- two private areas;
- and one common.
Regardless of a child’s age, the bedroom is often a retreat into which they can «retreat» for personal emotions and in search of a sense of comfort. Therefore, in a children’s room for children of different sexes, it is important to provide each child with a unique space of their own:
- For a boy, one side of the room can be decorated in a sports theme.
- The opposite side for the girl is in the theme of the princess.
- The shared space should be suitable for both.
The interior of the room for newborn girls and boys
If the goal is to design a children’s room for two different-sex babies, you should give preference to a cheerful and bright color scheme. The correct colors are:
- sky blue;
- sunny yellow;
- herbal green;
- and apple red.
Cribs are best placed against the walls «head to head»:
- this maneuver will give a lot of free space for the movements of the parents and easy access to each baby;
- and in the future, when they grow up, it will give a spacious play area.
Room for two different-sex schoolchildren
Schoolchildren under adolescence need less privacy, but they also need their own space. A room for heterosexual schoolchildren should be provided with a place for personal belongings:
- personal desk;
- or shelf.
If the shared bedroom has space, it’s a good idea to have a table for board games and crafts for schoolchildren. If the kids like to mess around with paints, glue or glitter, it is better to abandon the rug and lay an oilcloth tablecloth on the work surface.
Teenage room for children of different sexes
A functional room for teenage boys and girls is an achievable goal. The main thing in creating an interior is to provide enough privacy for each teenager and equip a suitable place for studying. This can be achieved in different ways:
- Hanging curtains around each sleeping area.
- Using bookcases to create a «wall» between beds.
- Or a great way to optimize space in a teenage room is loft beds.
Room for children of different sexes of different ages
Many families are faced with a situation where they need to adapt to life in the dormitory not the children of the weather, but, for example, a three-year-old boy and a four-month-old girl. In this case, a children’s room for two children of different sexes with a difference in age has its own layout and design features.
The location of the furniture in the room is the first thing to decide in such a situation. If a baby and an older child “cohabitate”, their beds should be placed in opposite corners, the cradle should be closer to the exit. Thus, quick access to the baby will be provided, and nightly visits to him will not interfere with the sleep of the elder.
Pillows, rugs and soft large items such as rocking chairs and tents are used to decorate the play area — they will later be suitable for joint games. It is recommended that the toys of the older child be placed in storage containers accessible only to him — you can put them not on the floor, but higher — so that the younger one cannot get it. This will give a sense of importance to the elder.
Both psychologists and designers agree that a children’s room for children of different sexes with a difference in age should include elements that will show children their growing family. Joint photographs or framed handprints encourage children to appreciate each other, and add a warm family atmosphere to the interior.
Small room for a boy and a girl
A small bedroom for two children of different sexes is not a reason to get upset and abandon any of the zones. There are excellent design solutions that will help optimize the area:
- For example, put a bedside table in a corner, and place two beds against the walls with a headboard to it. This move will open up space for a common playing area.
- Raised loft beds free up additional space for the study area, effectively dividing the room into two floors.
Narrow children’s room for children of different sexes
If the children’s room for two children of different sexes is narrow, bunk beds will always help out. Each bunk can be made into an individual place to relax and read, not just sleep. To do this, you need to install:
- wall sconces;
- and small shelving.
Another option for saving square meters in a narrow room is high platform beds with lots of drawers at the bottom. Such a project has the following advantages:
- eliminates the need to put a closet;
- gives children personal containers for storing personal items.
Children’s room design for children of different sexes
The interior of a children’s room for children of different sexes should meet the needs of both the boy and the girl — it is important to note their individuality, this will emphasize the importance of each individual and teach you to value each other’s privacy. A children’s room for children of different sexes must also have a common neutral zone for joint leisure. Thanks to competent planning, color accents and decorative elements, it is easy to create the perfect room for a boy and a girl.
Colors of the room for children of different sexes
A room for a boy and a girl will not cause difficulties in designing if you follow the advice of designers. The first step is to choose a base color palette for the main elements (walls, carpet, furniture), which should be gender neutral. For example, color combos such as white and gray, white and turquoise are great for boys and girls. Next, add additional colors and patterns on top of the main palette. For example, emphasize a gray-white room with yellow accessories. When choosing geometry, give preference to flat and large shapes.
Filling the interior of a children’s room for children of different sexes, «tune» it in accordance with the personalities of the children. Choose design elements that will make everyone feel like the room belongs to them. To do this, personalize details throughout the room, such as wall hooks or light fixtures. Similarly, add gender themes to one or two accessories, but keep them color coordinated. When accessorizing with red, try a flashy red fire engine pillow for him and a red flower or heart pillow for her.
Furniture for children of different sexes in one room
A children’s room for children of different sexes requires space for two in one room. Therefore, when choosing furniture for a common bedroom for a boy and a girl, they are guided by the principle of area optimization:
- If the kids are older, bunk beds are a great choice. An upright or L-shaped bunk bed uses up square footage efficiently and often has built-in storage underneath.
- The rack is convenient for organizing space for toys — it does not take up much space and can be placed above chests of drawers, tables and even above the door — for rarely used items.
- A bookcase at the foot of the bed will not take up valuable meters against the wall and will provide additional surface for a lamp or a book.
- For everyday items of clothing, door and wall hooks can be used in addition to the closet. And the closet should be equipped with internal partitions so that everyone can have a separate place for their things.
Bedroom for children of different sexes — curtains
A variety of room ideas for children of different sexes include the active use of curtains. Their functional purpose is different:
- Curtains for windows. For a joint nursery, neutral shades from the basic palette of the room are suitable. If windows are present in each zone, the color of the curtains may match the corresponding one.
- Partition curtains. Necessarily made of dense fabric, dividing the room conditionally into two, can overlap with bright accessories or the color scheme of both zones.
- Drapes, curtains. They fence off a sleeping place, often choosing a dark color — this prevents the penetration of light in case one of the children wants to go to bed early.
Zoning a room for children of different sexes
Zoning a children’s room for children of different sexes is a design move that cannot be avoided when creating a bedroom interior for a boy and a girl. Gender differences require a personal and unique zone. The division of the room into parts can be done with the help of furniture, curtains or different colors. Zoning helps to make a «mini-room» for each child in the common room.
Partition in a room for children of different sexes
In order not to think for a long time how to divide a room for children of different sexes, you can resort to the traditional method — to install a partition. It could be:
- like a real plasterboard extension wall;
- as well as a bookcase;
- curtain or screen:
Wallpaper in the room for a girl and a boy
Wallpaper for children’s room of children of different sexes can be different in each private area. In this way, zoning of space for a boy and a girl is carried out. As a rule, colors are chosen based on gender: blue and pink. But other combinations are also interesting — for example, orange and blue.