Ceramic tiles in the bathroom
Ceramic tile in the bathroom is one of the most popular options for finishing the room, because it is durable and relatively inexpensive. This material has a lot of advantages over wood panels, decorative plaster or plastic panels.
Tiles in the interior of the bathroom
In conditions of high humidity and frequent use, ceramics are more advantageous due to the optimal combination of functional and aesthetic properties. Finishing the bathroom with tiles has only one drawback — painstaking in the layout, which requires some experience. The pluses include:
- Versatility. Ceramic tiles can be used to design both floors and walls or ceilings.
- Health safety. The tile does not emit harmful substances when heated or wet, as it is made from natural materials.
- Large selection of design options and fittings. Ceramic tiles in the bathroom can be treated with colored or white grout, have a smooth or embossed surface.
- Ease of care. The surface of the tiles can be washed with an ordinary soap solution or a cleaning powder without aggressive abrasive particles.
Tile on the wall in the bathroom
Wall tiles are used after proper preparation, which begins with leveling. All irregularities and slopes are measured in advance with a rope or bubble level, a laser level. Before the bathroom tiling begins, the cracks and chips found are sealed with putty, carefully leveling it with a spatula immediately after application. It is worth remembering two more nuances of installing tiles on walls:
- The first row of ceramic tiles is laid out not from the floor, but from a flat horizontal line at the height of the second or third row of tiles.
- It is advisable to choose such a level for it that approximately an even number of rows remain up to the ceiling without trimming. The classic option is orientation to the side of the bath.
Tiles on the floor in the bathroom
The horizontal surface has its own characteristics in facing with ceramic tiles. An uneven floor in the bathroom cannot be fixed with tiles, but flaws can be compensated not only with cement, but also with a thick layer of glue. To lay the tiles evenly, you can use the following tips from professionals:
- The places where pipes come out of the floor are cut out in ceramic tiles with a diamond crown, taking into account the correct diameter.
- The thickness of the tile adhesive layer should be 5-7 mm. It is stretched with a spatula-comb.
- A small layer of glue is also applied to the edges of the tile itself, along which a comb is drawn to give unevenness for better adhesion.
Bathroom tile design
Not only performance is important, but also the appearance of the tile. The color of ceramics affects the overall impression of the interior of the room. It should not be too bright, boring or pressing on the psyche. Designers know which tile to choose for the bathroom — one that will echo the mood and style of the rest of the interior. They also give a couple of tips to everyone who goes to the store for this finishing material:
- In a small room, large ceramic tiles look awkward: they are appropriate only in large rooms.
- You can add volume to a room with modest dimensions thanks to a tile with a three-dimensional pattern.
- Ceramic tiles in the bathroom in two different tones are separated by a border — a strip of neutral color.
Mosaic tiles in the bathroom
Among all the varieties of ceramic tiles, a coating imitating a wall panel has long been especially popular. It is durable and less prone to color fading than others, so there is no need to decide which tile is better for the bathroom — plain or mosaic. The mosaic has such advantages as:
- the possibility of applying to any plane;
- complete lack of response to temperature differences;
- the ability to create a homogeneous canvas or a whole picture.
White tiles in the bathroom
You should not be afraid of pure shades — they can be not only cold and sterile. Even tiling a bathroom in snow-white color can create a positive mood — if you do not take into account the fact that the material needs careful maintenance. Features of the design of white ceramic tiles are clear to beginners in repair:
- The room, lined with white tiles, looks very bright and creates the effect of additional space.
- White ceramic bathroom tiles can be used as the best base color. The interior can be transformed without changing it, but simply by buying new accessories — cabinets or a sink.
- If the white tile has a mosaic pattern, it should be pearlescent in order to advantageously refract the light falling on it.
Black tiles in the bathroom
The tiling of this shade looks solid and elegant, but do not forget that it absorbs more light than any other finishing material. So that the tiles in the bathroom in the apartment do not create a gloomy mood and do not cause negative feelings, they are “diluted” with white or blue shades. Maximum contrast will be given by colors from the opposite end of the spectrum: beige, milky, coffee or pastel pink.
Brown tiles in the bathroom
Natural shades have their own charm: they integrate well into design styles with a predominance of natural textures and materials. Bathroom tile colors such as the brown palette can visually reduce the space, so in small rooms it is better not to abuse them. But the walls decorated in brown look more voluminous if a ceramic tile with a glossy surface was chosen. Shades of chocolate can generally be used as a contrasting separator when ceilings are not high enough.
Beige tiles in the bathroom
Warm tones are considered timeless classics: they visually expand the space and bring more light, besides, they always look trendy. Beige bathroom tiling is a design for a calm and balanced environment. It has several advantages:
- Beige and the shades that come from it work well as a background because they have a neutral range.
- It is combined with any tones — warm and cold.
- Beige ceramic tiles of different shades can hide the unevenness of the walls.
Red tiles in the bathroom
Bright shades will appeal to creative individuals who love experiments not only in real life, but also in the design of their homes. They know which tile to choose for the bathroom — red, because this color invigorates and improves mood. Ceramics of such a palette can be used to finish both the entire bathroom and its local area. The following ideas of combinations based on it are considered win-win:
- Finishing with red tiles the corner in which the bath is located or the area above the sink.
- A combination of a matte red background and an intricate glossy pattern on the tile.
- For discreet types of design, ceramics of luxurious pure shades — ruby, purple or garnet — are suitable. For modern — raspberry, cranberry, lingonberry.
How to lay tiles in the bathroom
When the color scheme of ceramics is selected and such features as the size of the room and the level of humidity in it are taken into account, it is worth considering an algorithm for further actions. Before laying the tiles on the floor in the bathroom or on the walls, experts advise to carry out some manipulations:
- Dismantling of the old coating. If the walls are covered with wooden shingles, the plaster is completely removed, if with brickwork, you can leave it alone. The tiled surface is cleaned of glue.
- Alignment. It is done with a grinding disc or manually with sandpaper. On walls with a large slope, a cement-sand mixture is used.
- Finishing. This name hides the application of putty, priming and waterproofing treatment.
- Bonding of ceramic tiles. The active composition is applied to the walls or floor, and tiles are already planted on it.
Bathroom tile adhesive
There are not so many varieties of compounds that can be used in conditions of high humidity. Before laying tiles in the bathroom, you need to choose one of its varieties:
- Thin layer tile adhesive. It is designed to work with almost flat surfaces, the differences of which do not exceed 10 mm. After drying, it acquires frost-resistant properties.
- Thick-layer composition for layout. It is designed for application with a layer of 10 mm and above.
- fungicidal adhesive. This preparation for the placement of ceramic tiles in the bathroom contains antiseptic substances that prevent the appearance of fungus on the walls.
- Epoxy adhesive. The only 100% waterproof product that can even be used as a grout.
After the measurements of the walls are made and their area is calculated, you can proceed to the decoration of the room. To answer the question of how to properly lay tiles in the bathroom, you must first choose one of the ways to work with this material:
- Direct layout. This is the simplest type possible: a rectangular ceramic tile is selected and placed one by one. If it is not possible to place whole tiles at the joints of the ceiling and floor, it is cut in two.
- Diagonal fit. This is a chance to create a dramatic surface that suits a square space and perfectly camouflages sloping walls.
- Chess pattern. Ceramic tiles in the bathroom are laid in the form of a combination of two contrasting colors.
- Offset layout. In each subsequent row, the tiles are placed by moving to the side. This type of design is optimal for rectangular rooms.
- Mosaic tiles. The method is only possible for experienced craftsmen, because it requires skill and work with proportional patterns.