Shower enclosures — what is it, pros and cons, features of different types and options
High humidity, water drops flying around the bathroom and accumulating on the floor are the eternal problems of this room. There are special devices that help to deal with them. Shower enclosures are also included. Before using the design, you should learn as much as possible about it.
What are shower enclosures?
This is a design that performs two important functions:
- Shower enclosures or shower barrier — a device that protects the bathroom from high humidity, dripping water drops on the floor and the formation of puddles from them.
- Thanks to the system, the space of the bathroom is delimited and its aesthetics are increased.
Pros and cons of shower enclosures
This design has a lot of advantages and is practically devoid of disadvantages. A shower enclosure for a bathtub has the following advantages:
- Most design models are easy to install, and for this there is often no need to resort to the help of a specialist.
- By protecting the room from high humidity, fungus is prevented in the bathroom.
- Shower enclosures are inexpensive. If the room already has a good, high-quality bath, it is simply complemented by this design.
- Products do not require special care. Initially, their surface is covered with a special composition that repels moisture, so that it is not prone to rapid contamination.
The cons of the designs are extremely few, but they still exist:
- high cost of some systems;
- the need for care after each shower;
- possible difficulties during installation.
What is better shower enclosure or shower enclosure?
The names of these structures are consonant, but they are not the same thing. Which option to choose depends on many parameters. For example, a corner shower enclosure is a good solution if the bathroom has a small area. It is worth knowing what other criteria to consider:
- The shower cabin is a structure equipped with partitions on all sides, due to which its tightness is created. When installing it, there is no need for additional measures to waterproof the floor and walls. Shower enclosures have partitions on only two sides, so when installing them, waterproofing is required. Otherwise, fungus and mold will appear on the surfaces over time.
- Collecting a shower stall is a complex process that requires time and work of a specialist. The shower enclosure is easy to install — the elements are interconnected, attached to the floor (or tray) and the wall.
- Cabins have a high cost, while the price of corners is much lower. The appearance of the latter is not inferior to the appearance of the former.
- Shower cabins are equipped with many functions and modes that fences do not have.
Shower enclosure options
Depending on the device, there are such types of them:
- shower screen with tray;
- option without tray.
Shower enclosure with tray
This option is considered optimal. Choosing a shower enclosure with a drip tray is a way to reliably protect the floor from water ingress and avoid the associated problems. The pallet can be made from the following materials:
- Metal. Such options are durable, unpretentious in installation and maintenance. It is better to opt for pallets made of stainless steel — they are aesthetic, durable, resistant to heavy loads and mechanical damage.
- Acrylic. Pallets made of it are reliable, they are easy to care for, because they are treated with a special agent that prevents dirt from accumulating in their pores. If deformation of the product occurs, it is easy to eliminate.
- Composite materials. More often it is artificial granite or marble. 20% they consist of mineral chips, and 80% of binder materials. Such options are characterized by durability, aesthetics, dirt-repellent, antibacterial and anti-slip properties.
- Ceramics. These are beautiful products, but with a low level of resistance to mechanical damage. Before installing them, it is necessary to level the floor to an ideal state.
Shower enclosure without tray
This option is convenient for bathrooms with a small area, because thanks to it it is possible to rationally organize the space. A common in modern interpretation method of placement in small areas, when a shower enclosure is placed in a niche. When using this option, it is necessary to ensure good waterproofing of the surfaces. For this you should:
- level the floor
- exclude cracks, cracks, irregularities through which water can seep;
- provide a waterproofing layer.
Types of shower enclosures
Depending on the design of products, they are classified as follows:
- corners. These are structures that make up glass shower enclosures that are interconnected and attached to the wall. They can be mounted on a pallet or on the floor.
- Door. It is a glass system placed in an opening or in a niche. Its height and length can be different, but it consists of the main fabric, seals, loops and handles.
- Pallet. This is the basis of the corner, equipped with a siphon, a screen, a frame, a platform.
- blind. The design is a shower enclosure made of glass — one or more shutters enclosed in metal frames. The lower part of the product is mounted to the side of the bath, the upper part is mounted on racks.
- Barrier. The product has a small size and an oblong shape. Shower barriers-fences are mounted on the floor.
- Partition. It is a vertical glass panel enclosed in a metal frame. It is installed more often perpendicular to the wall or floor.
How to choose a shower enclosure?
Based on important criteria, you will be able to make the right choice:
- With or without pallet. If the bathroom space is small, then you can choose the second option. It will not limit the variety of design and functional solutions of the chosen design. For example, you can install pentagonal shower enclosures in such rooms, thanks to which the design looks ergonomic. The option with a pallet is considered practical — it provides reliable protection against high humidity, and it will not be difficult to replace it if necessary.
- door shape. If the bathroom space allows, swing doors can be used. If you need to save it, a sliding shower enclosure is a good option.
- wall material. Glass is the best choice. It is characterized by strength, resistance to mechanical damage, high dirt-repellent ability. If cost is an important criterion, then plastic is the winning option.
- pallet material. A good choice is metal and acrylic products. If the design so requires, structures made of composite materials can also be used. They have good performance.
Shower Enclosure Dimensions
They depend on the needs of users and the dimensions of the bathroom.
- If the size of the bathroom is small, you can use corner options in the form of a quarter circle measuring 90×90 cm. In this case, it is not recommended to use rectangular, square models, because they take up space. With a large area, you can use designs with protruding corners. You can stop at such an option as a trapezoid shower enclosure. It has corners, but thanks to its shape it fits organically into the room.
- If necessary, to provide a large area of \u200b\u200bthe internal space, you can use models measuring 100×100 cm or 120×100 cm.
- The height of the pallet can be 25-45 cm if you plan to bathe a child or there is a need for high sides. If the design is used by an elderly or a person with disabilities, then the optimal height of the product is 5-25 cm.
Shower enclosure accessories
They are understood as auxiliary parts, thanks to which the structure is assembled. The following accessories are used for shower enclosures:
- Connectors. They come in two varieties — used to fix parts of the product together and used to fasten them to the walls.
- Stabilization bars. These are metal profiles that make the structure more stable and stronger and are attached to the main parts. There are two types of them — with overhead and mortise fasteners.
- Sealing profiles. They are used for a snug fit of the structure to the walls, sealing, reliable closing of doors.
- loops. Are applied to functioning of oar doors.
- Accessories for the sliding mechanism. These are U-shaped mounting profiles and rollers.
How to install a shower enclosure?
To complete the process, you need to do the following:
- Drill a hole in the floor with a non-hammer drill. If it is done in concrete, you need to use a drill specially designed for this.
- Installing a shower enclosure requires placing a dowel in the resulting hole.
- Using self-tapping screws, attach the guides to the desired locations.
- On the profiles, fix the bases for the hinges, if their presence is provided for by the design.
- Fix the carrier profiles on the rails.
- Place in the first sealing material.
Shower enclosures in the interior
With a skillful approach, this design fits perfectly into the modern design of the premises.
- For a bathroom of any style, a frameless version that does not have profiles is suitable.
- In combination with black and white tiles, black shower enclosures look great. For other cases, the classic choice would be the option with a white frame.
- A versatile and easy-to-clean option that will fit into almost any design is the design with frosted glass.
- In modern apartments, there is often a shower located not in the bathroom, but in the living room. In this case, the shower enclosure will reliably protect the room from moisture.
- If a marble or granite bath or pallet is installed, wooden structures can be used.