Shower enclosure with a tray — how to choose and install a booth with glass curtains
The popularity of the shower enclosure is due to its functionality and compactness. It is a booth, consisting of only two (sometimes three) walls. Therefore, it fits even in the smallest bathroom. Sometimes a shower enclosure with a tray is the only option for owners of small homes. But how to choose it and what to consider when buying?
How to choose a shower enclosure?
This design has many selection criteria, including:
- Harmonious design. To ensure that the components fit perfectly together, it is better to purchase a kit or choose one manufacturer.
- frame type. A shower enclosure with a tray can be semi-frame or frame. The first looks great with a low pallet, and the second is in harmony with a high one. The latter is convenient in that you can take a shower while sitting in it, and the design feature allows you to increase the reliability of the glass installed in the frame.
- Door opening type. A sliding door for a shower enclosure is good because it saves space in the bathroom, but a hinged and hinged design is more reliable.
- Fencing type. The walls can be made of polystyrene, glass, plexiglass and triplex. Polystyrene has a number of undoubted advantages: it looks attractive and is easy to clean. But it has a short service life, so it is more suitable for cottages. More reliable is glass and its improved varieties.
- The material of the pallet plays an important role, so you need to pay special attention to its choice. Among the abundance of models, the most popular are acrylic, faience and ceramic — very reliable and durable products. The downside is only their relative fragility. Also on sale you can find cast-iron, marble and stone models. These are the best shower trays, the only downside of which is the price. All of them are very durable and please with long-term operation with no scratches or damage.
Installation of a shower enclosure with a tray
The procedure does not require certain knowledge and more often you can handle it yourself. Installation of a shower enclosure takes place in several stages. But since the parts for fixing it are not sold in the kit, they will have to be made at home. You will need iron corners and a pipe 30-40 mm in diameter. You can install the pallet on bricks or cement-sand mortar. Thereafter:
- Install the siphon so that in the future you can clean it if it becomes clogged. Installing a small ventilation window will help solve this issue.
- Check the operation of the siphon by pouring some water into the pan.
Next, install the panels:
- Assemble the frame.
- Fix the lower component (often with a sealant).
- To install vertical racks, you need a plumb line and a level. The attachment areas can be marked with a marker — there will be holes for attaching dowels.
- Make holes in the wall. While drilling the tile, do not turn on the blow, otherwise it will shatter.
- Lubricate the inner sides of the racks with sealant.
- Fix with self-tapping screws vertical guide.
- Install glass. How to adjust its work, tell the instructions.
- The last stages are the installation of fittings and high-quality sealing.
Shower enclosure with high tray
It is chosen more often due to a number of advantages. In a high tray with sides of 35-50 cm, you can draw water and soak up the warm jets almost like in a real bath. Some models are equipped with small recesses for storing hygiene products. They can be used as a seat if desired.
A shower enclosure with a deep tray is suitable for couples with a very small child (it is convenient to bathe a baby in it) and young people. High models are also good due to the fact that water does not flow out of the corner thanks to the sides and keeps the heat inside the cabin qualitatively. A high tray shower enclosure is somewhat reminiscent of a mini bathtub, which is why it is very popular among those who have recently abandoned a full-fledged bathing tank. The downside is the difficulty of lifting for the elderly.
Shower enclosure with low tray
Such models have a height of up to 30 cm (usually from 2 to 5 cm) and fit perfectly into small bathrooms. A small shower enclosure equipped with a low tray is chosen by families with elderly people and growing children who find it difficult and unsafe to climb a high tray on their own. It is also suitable for young families without children, leading an active lifestyle. By installing a low pallet, you can avoid floor waterproofing and the formation of a drain.
Glass shower enclosure
A popular material as the walls of the structure is tempered glass, reinforced by 5-6 times. The visually appealing glass shower enclosure with tray is resistant to continuous exposure to hot and cold water. It is difficult to scratch or break it, but even if this happens, it shatters into non-sharp parts and is not capable of harming the household.
The simplest transparent glass shower enclosure is much cheaper than matte, corrugated and textured designs. The main advantage of a smooth transparent material is its hygiene, because it is not susceptible to the formation of fungus and mold, and it is very easy to wash it. An even more expensive option is products made of plexiglass and triplex — they are more reliable and practical than glass.
Shower enclosure with curtain
Using a curtain instead of a full-fledged design is the most affordable way out of a situation where you need to save money or want to add zest to the interior. The simplest and cheapest are ordinary polyester curtains, complemented by prints or illustrations. But they are rarely limited to a shower enclosure with a tray — the products do not protect the floor very well from moisture and need to be changed every three months.
More reliable and practical are models made of plastic or tempered glass, especially enclosed in an aluminum frame, which significantly extends their service life. Models of the «accordion» type look very interesting. A shower enclosure with a tray and a curtain of a similar shape is a stylish and interesting solution. Some products are additionally decorated with prints,
They are good because they can withstand prolonged loads without failing, and provide a wider passage — this is convenient for overweight people. Swing structures open inward, outward or in both directions (the latter retain moisture better). At the same time, swing doors quietly perform their function and look stylish.
To increase the service life, it is recommended to choose products with a lifting and lowering mechanism. The design also has its downsides. A shower enclosure with a tray and a hinged door is not put in small bathrooms, because they require a lot of space. And if a model with an outward opening is selected, water begins to flow onto the floor.
Trapeze shower enclosure
This is an interesting choice that gives the interior a non-standard appeal. A pentagonal shower enclosure, in a simple or complex design, looks interesting and harmonizes perfectly with other elements of plumbing of an unusual shape. But it requires more space than oval models. For this reason, it is more often chosen in large rooms.
Tile shower enclosure
Practice shows that one of the most practical options for arranging a corner is a tiled floor, coupled with a plastic or glass door. At the same time, the pallet is chosen the lowest or generally limited to a tiled floor. Shower enclosures with a large pallet are chosen less often, because in tandem with tiles it looks inorganic. Caring for ceramic tiles is easy with ordinary detergents, it does not form mold, and under the influence of hot water it heats up quickly.
Radius shower enclosures
Designs of this shape are ideal for small spaces. The shower enclosure with a tray is semi-circular, and therefore it is easy to install it in the corner, saving the space of the bathroom. Such booths look very attractive and are considered leaders in sales. A popular model is a cabin with two even walls and a radius door.
Rectangular shower enclosure
This model is universal and is perfect for different types of doors. By combining a rectangular shower tray with shower doors, you can get a spacious place for ablution. The built-in rectangular shower enclosure with a tray successfully fits into the design of a small bathroom. You can install it in the corner of the room.
Trays for shower enclosures made of artificial stone
This material is cheaper than a natural analogue, but at the same time it has all its advantages. When thinking about which tray to choose for a shower enclosure, one cannot ignore the models made of artificial stone — durable, durable and attractive in appearance. These products are resistant to damage and can withstand heavy loads.
They successfully fit into the interior of the bathroom, lined with tiles, mosaics or plaster, and the high level of sound insulation is explained by the thick walls of the pallets. But they have downsides. For most, this is a considerable price, but the models also have a lot of weight, which makes them difficult to transport, and high thermal conductivity.
Shower enclosures with metal tray
Metal is an incredibly durable material, but it is more affordable than marble and stone. Excellent value for money makes metal products popular among those who choose a shower enclosure instead of a bathroom — a steel tray, unlike plastic, can last more than 20 years. But he also has drawbacks. And the first is the high thermal conductivity, which makes the process of taking a shower not so pleasant. Metal pallets are not pleasing with sound insulation either — the water knocks on it too loudly, which creates some discomfort.
Shower enclosures with ceramic tray
Such models have numerous advantages — stability due to the large weight, immunity to chemicals, high strength and durability. The sound of falling water is reduced to a minimum, while it is quite loud during operation of most models. A shower enclosure with a ceramic tray is safe — it is difficult to slip on it because of the corrugated surface.
There are also downsides. For many, the main disadvantage is the high price. But the ceramic tray under the shower enclosure is also easily scratched. Although in comparison with its advantages, the disadvantage is not so significant. However, a product with high sides is very difficult to find on the market today, forcing many to choose pallets from other materials.