Living room decor — ideas for ceilings, windows, curtains and niches
To obtain a harmonious design of the room, it is important to think through every detail. Attention deserves the decor of the living room, which should be selected depending on the overall style of the room. There are many different options, so there are plenty to choose from.
living room decor
In order to get a harmonious and beautiful room after the repair work, it is necessary to think over not only the decoration, but also the ways of decorating the room. There are different ideas for living room decor that relate to the decoration of windows, ceiling, doorways, walls, and so on. Each selected detail should fit the overall style and be in harmony with other elements used in the design.
Wall decor for the living room
In many design projects, one of the walls of the room remains free, so it is recommended to focus on it, on which the general mood of the room will depend.
- The decor above the sofa in the living room may not be required if the decoration will initially play its role. To create an accent, you can use photo wallpapers, paint drawings, wood, plaster, mirror objects, and so on.
- A common option for decorating the wall above the sofa is a collage or gallery. Posters can be attached here, but framed items are used in most cases. Elements can be mounted symmetrically and asymmetrically, and also randomly.
- The main accent of the wall can also be a single object, which should have a large format. You can use a painting, poster, panel, vintage panel, tapestry and so on.
- It is worth mentioning such a common decor as a mirror, which can be of different shapes, consist of a mosaic, have a pattern, and so on.
- Wall shelves can become a functional decoration, which are located along the length of the sofa: straight or stepped. They can be placed books, souvenirs and numerous decorative items.
- Simple lamps will also be appropriate on the wall above the sofa. It is better to place a sconce symmetrically so as not to disturb the harmony.
- For creative people, a themed decor will be an excellent decoration option, for example, when decorating a room in a marine style, you can hang a ship or a steering wheel on the wall. Other suitable options: guitars, horns, hide, masks and more.
Corner decor in the living room
Often, when arranging a room, the corners remain free, which reduces usable space. There are many ideas on how to use the decor of the hall in the apartment in the corners, here are just a few of them:
- Put large houseplants in this place, for example, ficus, palm, and so on.
- The original solution is a screen that will add zest to the interior. It can be of different sizes, have decor and be multi-colored.
- A large art object that you can build yourself, for example, from a ladder, old suitcases, and so on, will harmoniously fit into the corner.
- The decor of the living room in the corner can be a spectacular floor lamp that has an original shape.
Window decor in the living room
The most common way to finish a window is classic curtains, but this is not the only option, as there are other alternative solutions.
- Blinds. They can be used as an independent decor and in tandem with curtains. It is better to choose vertical fabric models or wordy horizontal options. There are blinds with different patterns that turn the window into a picture.
- Roman curtains. An alternative to blinds, which is suitable for Provence style, rustic and so on. When the curtain is assembled, decorative folds are formed, and the shape is preserved on the sides. Another option is roller blinds.
- Tulle. Thinking over the decor of the interior of the living room, you should take care of the design of the window, so a light tulle would be a good option, from which you can create a beautiful composition. Please note that it will not protect from bright light.
Decor curtains in the living room
There are a large number of curtains that should be selected depending on the design of the room. There are different ideas on how to decorate curtains, so the most common options include:
- Lambrequins. Such details make the windows elegant, and there are plenty to choose from. Lambrequins can be in tone with the curtains or act in contrast. This living room decor in the apartment should be selected for rooms with high ceilings. There are different options for lambrequin: gang, swag and jabot.
- Tacks. A common option for decorating curtains, which involves fixing curtains or curtains in various ways. You can use lace, ribbons, fabrics and various decorated elements as tiebacks.
- Brushes. This element of decor is good with curtains in the Greek and Roman style. Brushes are not suitable for modern living room design.
- Accessories. The decor of the living room is varied and you can decorate the curtains with numerous elements, for example, flowers, butterflies, fringe, ruffles, bows and so on.
Shelf decor in the living room
Even expensive and very beautiful shelving can be ruined if things are not properly placed on them, allowing clutter. If you don’t know how to decorate the shelves in the living room, then consider these tips:
- Use baskets and boxes that can be multi-colored, decorated with different materials, and so on.
- Emptiness can be beautiful, too, so it’s better to leave a couple of shelves empty than to get cluttered. This idea is suitable for open shelving.
- Arrange things symmetrically to each other, focusing on the “mirror principle”. Use paired vases, baskets, candles, and so on.
- Create a construction on several levels, for example, put a couple of books, a small figurine or a candle on them.
- The original version of the living room decor is the decoration of the facade of the rack with a picture or photographs.
Living room decor with mirrors
One of the most affordable and common design options are mirrors that can be used in different ways:
- The mirror does not have to be hung on the wall, because it can simply be leaned against the wall, getting the original decoration of the room.
- The decor of a small living room can be carried out using mirrors on which a drawing is applied.
- The decoration of the wall can be a mosaic or different shapes. Small parts of mirrors create something similar to stained glass windows. Panels, figures of the sun, and so on are popular.
Niche decor in the living room
The accent in the design of the room can be a niche, the use of which depends on the size and shape. To create dynamics and add zest to the living room, you can use niche lighting, such as spotlights. Please note that if the niche is open, then it should be combined with the interior of the room. To choose a living room decor option, pay attention to the arrangement of a niche:
- In the recess in the wall, you can place shelves for books, figurines and other items. It is important not to clutter up the niche with a large number of different elements.
- If the niche is small, then it is better to install one object in it, for example, a flower or some kind of figurine.
- When using small niches, you can simply attach a lamp to them and leave them empty.
- You can organize a fireplace in a niche, which may not be real, but very harmonious.
Ceiling decor in the living room
Previously, when decorating a room, the ceiling was not given any importance, but now it is an integral part of the interior. There are several technological features of the ceiling design: plaster, stretch, suspended and hemmed. Each option has its own characteristics, which you should familiarize yourself with when choosing the right type of finish. In addition, they can be multi-level. The decor of a modern living room allows the use of such ceiling decorations:
- Stucco. A great option when decorating a room in a classic or Gothic style. You can use not only plaster, but also polyurethane parts.
- Painting. The ceiling can be decorated with art or stencil drawings. They will make the design unique and inimitable.
- Stickers. Rarely, but stickers and photo wallpapers are used on the ceiling. When combined with backlight, you can get the original version.
- Beams. You can mount natural wood or vinyl beams, creating the atmosphere of an old house. They are also suitable for eco-design.
Hall decor with arch
To decorate a doorway with an arch, you can use many design options. The most common include:
- A simple and affordable option is decorative plaster, with which you can create different and unusual shapes.
- You can paste over the arch with contrasting wallpaper, paint or other material that will make it stand out in the interior.
- Brick decor is common in the living room, with which you can lay out an arch. It is better to use decorative options with different patterns.
- You can install columns in the opening, and they are suitable not only for the classical style, since there are original modern options.
Living room decor with fireplace
Both real and artificial hearth can be used indoors. It can be located in the center of the room, in the corner, near the outer and inner walls. The decor of the living room is selected depending on the style of decoration:
- Classical. Above the product, you can place shelves filled with different decor. Paintings and panels are often used.
- Minimalism. For cladding choose stone tiles or ceramics. It is recommended to hide the product with a false panel.
- Country. The beautiful decor of the living room involves the use of wood and stone elements.
- Modern. The design of the fireplace uses a lot of glass and mirrors. The hearth in this case is the central figure of the room. You can draw on the panel.
Decor combined kitchen with living room
The main decorated elements in such a room will be various zoning objects that will add beauty and comfort.
- Good piers and arches, which may include shelves, mirror elements, and so on.
- You can use different partitions and screens for separation. Such decor of the living room in the house allows, if necessary, changing the position of the elements.
- A large aquarium can act as a decor and a partition, and another original option is a living wall.
Modern style living room decor
Ideas for decorating the living room are regularly replenished, so there is plenty to choose from. Now at the peak of popularity are such options:
- accent wall. To decorate the main wall, you can use a huge number of options: photo wallpaper, modular paintings, stucco, mirrors, and so on.
- Aquarium. An object that will always attract attention can be of different sizes, freestanding or built into the wall.
- Framework. Living room decor in a modern style can be carried out using a large number of frames, which can contain drawings, photographs, and even various objects.
Provence style living room decor
To create a full-fledged interior in the Provence style, it is important to choose the right decor that will complete the design.
- Decorate the hall with a cloth, as textiles are the main attribute of Provence. Choose decorative curtains with ruffles, tulle, different pillows and so on. Best ornament: flowers, cage and stripe.
- Designers recommend focusing on wall decorations. You can choose antique clocks, paintings with pastel landscapes and flower arrangements, panels and mirrors.
- Living room decor can be done using such elements: ceramic vases, flower pots, carpets, vintage figurines and so on. Attention should also be paid to decorative fittings, for example, wooden carved elements and forged parts are recommended.