In the morning, being late for work, on a business trip or traveling — not always and not everywhere there is time and opportunity to use the iron. It may simply not be available. Or they might turn off the electricity. But things tend to wrinkle anywhere and at any time. What to do if the trousers or blouse are folded, and you need to wear them right now? How to iron things without an iron? What to replace it with? 8 best ways are collected in this article.
The video listed possible ways to smooth out creases without the use of special equipment
All about how to iron things without an iron
We use steam
Vinegar and water
water and hands
Hot metal utensils
Hair styling devices
To avoid wrinkling: useful tips
Hot steam is the most faithful and reliable assistant in the fight against wrinkles. There are a few steam tricks you can use quickly and easily at home to smooth out fabric.
- Take a crumpled thing, hang it on a coat hanger and straighten it. Take it to the bathroom. Turn on hot water in the shower or fill it in the bath. Hang the clothes hanger so that the steam gets on the fabric. Leave it in a damp heated room for 15 minutes to half an hour. Under the influence of steam, the folds will be smoothed out.
- Put a kettle full of water on the stove. Or a large pot. Let the liquid boil. Hold the item to be ironed over the steam. This method is more suitable for small items of clothing.
- After steaming, you need to wait until the fabric is completely dry.
Another effective way to deal with creases on the fabric is to prepare a special smoothing composition. To do this, mix table vinegar and water in a ratio of 1: 3. Sometimes housewives are advised to add fabric softener to them, which has a softening effect. Pour the resulting solution into a spray bottle. Spray it on the crumpled item.
7 Vinegar Cleaning Hacks That Will Save You Money
How to iron a shirt or T-shirt without an iron? Many housewives use a simple, but quite working technique for this. All you need is a thick terry towel. It must be moistened, and then squeezed properly. The towel should be damp but not too damp. Clothes that need ironing are laid out on a flat, hard, clean horizontal surface. Place a damp towel on top. Then hands with pressure perform smoothing movements to the sides. In this way, small and not too old creases can be dealt with.
Life hack: 10 ways to bleach towels at home
water and hands
Sometimes just your palms and water are enough to smooth out the creases in your clothes. True, this method will only work with small and not old creases. Just wet your hands with warm water and gently try to smooth the fabric where there are wrinkles.
Sometimes, to smooth out a thing, it is enough to leave it pressed down with a large weight for a while. For example, you can put it under the bed mattress at night.
Dishes instead of an iron
You can replace the iron with ordinary kitchen utensils, which are in every home. Almost any metal container will do. The main thing is that it is clean, without rust. For example, you can use a pot or ladle. Pour cold water into them, put on fire and bring to a boil. After the water is drained, and hot dishes are used according to the principle of an iron. If you need to iron something small: a tie, a scarf, a textile belt, you can take a metal mug.
Hair styling devices
With a hair dryer, you can iron not only clothes, but also curtains or tulle. However, from not too dense fabric. The item needs to be moistened first. For example, water from a spray bottle. And only then direct a jet of hot air at it. At the same time, it is advised to keep the hair dryer at a distance.
A hair iron is best used for dense, heat-resistant fabrics. The product is simply passed between the heated surfaces of the tongs. Be careful, the surfaces of the iron can reach very high temperatures. Therefore, it is better to set the desired indicator in advance. Be especially careful with thin synthetic fabrics. For them it is better to choose another way.
How to iron clothes without an iron: technical solutions
Today there are household appliances that cope with the ironing function no worse, and sometimes even better than the usual iron. What are these devices?
First of all, it’s a vaporizer. A device that seriously facilitates various household tasks. It is of several types. The most compact is a handheld steamer. This model is easy to take with you on the road.
The floor steamer is larger, but more powerful and copes with a large volume of things. Steam clothes in a hanging position. That is, it must be worn on a coat hanger. Curtains and tulle can also be steamed in the air. Water is poured into the device, it heats up and steam is released. This steam is directed to the clothes through a special nozzle. At the same time, it is advised to move the steamer along the fabric with smooth movements from top to bottom. A significant plus of the steamer compared to the iron is respect for clothes. It will not leave marks and stains, will not spoil decorative elements, and is safe for delicate and thin fabrics.
Another device that can easily deal with wrinkled clothes is a dryer. It really not only dries, but also smoothes the fabric. This option has already been appreciated by many owners of such household appliances. To smooth things out, before starting drying in the machine, put a clean, damp rag or pieces of ice inside the compartment. While the machine is running, moisture will evaporate and things will be ironed. But it’s important to strike a balance here. There should not be too many things in the drum.
Top 15 Best Tumble Dryers 2022 Ranking
To avoid wrinkling: washing and care tips
Many difficulties with ironing clothes and linen can be avoided. To do this, you need to properly approach the process of washing and drying. Here are some simple but helpful tips.
- Do not load the machine to the limit. The more things inside, the more they will wrinkle during washing.
- Use gentle spin mode. Slow down. Too high a spin speed will make things very wrinkled. If you wash by hand, do not twist things too much when spinning.
- After washing, it is better not to leave clean clothes for a long time waiting for ironing. The longer they stay in a crumpled state, the more difficult it will then be to cope with the resulting creases.
- After washing and before hanging, things need to be shaken and straightened properly.
- Pants, shirts, skirts and dresses after washing can be hung on hangers and left to dry in an upright position. So the risk of creases and folds will be minimal.
- Carefully hang bedding and towels on the dryer and straighten out so that wrinkles do not form.
- It is also important to properly store things in the closet. Many housewives advise the so-called vertical storage. In this case, things are not folded into a closet or chest of drawers in the usual piles, but are folded into neat rolls and stacked vertically. This allows you to avoid the appearance of large folds, and save space in the wardrobe. The vertical storage method is suitable for skirts, and for trousers, and for T-shirts and shirts, and even for socks.
7 Laundry Hacks You Might Not Know About